Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii
Anyone got some tips?
Been there before?
We are going to Hawaii Island in August this year. 
Not into the Honolulu scene. 
Have one trip planned to Mauna Kea - a volcano and observatory tour.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
I wanted to go there a few years ago but it was very difficult to get a suitable flight.
we spent time on 4 islands no tours just self organized
Big island was the best
The company organising our holiday stuffed up on this one
We landed on the non tourist side of the island (2 air ports), turned out to be the best thing
The taxi driver (Stan a local) who took us to our hotel spent 3 days driving us around and showing us and explaining the hidden treasures of the island, black sand beaches , fauna, flora and all about King Kamenameha and showed us the rock Naha stone he picked up which is out side the Hilo Public library, weighs 7000 pounds and also took us to the Thuston lava tubes and up to Mauna Kea for not much money.
Unfortunately Stan's community was engulfed by the recent volcanic eruptions, I hope he still takes passengers from the air port.
We noticed many homeless in all the parks, sent from the US mainland ln a free oneway ticket

Kauai was interesting, Ferrell chooks throughout and the most jurasic scenery, helicopter rides (it's were some of it was filmed)

Naval base on Oahu is a must if you have time also the Cheese Cake Factory

We did the tourist strip on Maui and ventured out into the country
Their sugar cane industry was decimated by lower pricing (mainly from Queensland) also so much  poison has been used over the years that no live stock can be commercially be used (cows milk, beef meat), every thing comes from the main land USA.

I absolutely hated the flight there and back, way to long in cattle class.
Thanks Rick

We are spending most of our time on the Bis Island. 

Will need to check what airport we are flying into   Huh
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
(26-04-2023, 09:26 PM)Barry Wrote: Thanks Rick

We are spending most of our time on the Bis Island. 

Will need to check what airport we are flying into   Huh

Kona for he tourist and resort side
Hilo for the quiet side

both international airport's
We stayed in Honolulu (Oahu) a few times. If you like a drink, the Maita'i Catamaran is great. Or if you don't like a drink, the Maita'i Catamaran is probably still really good except for the drunk obnoxious guy.
We hired a Jeep from Hertz I think it was and toured the whole island in our own time. 
Hanauma Bay is great if you're keen to do some snorkeling in beautiful aqua waters, although parking somewhere nearby was the challenge there.
The Dole pineapple plantation was worth a visit. 
I loved checking out the famous surf beaches like Waimea Bay, Pipeline, Sunset Beach, etc. If you're keen on surf, make sure you go at the right time of year because those locations are almost flat at certain times of the year.
YOu have to go to the top of Diamond Head at least once. 
Swimming at Waikiki Beach and saying hello to the statue of the Duke is also a must at least once, although our hotel was so close we were swimming there constantly.
Cheesecake Shop is a must. It's not just Cheesecakes; it's anything you want. But they also have amazing cheesecakes you can take away.
Kualoa is a great picturesque section of coast. It's where they filmed a lot of scenes for movies including Jurrasic Park. You can do tours on quad bikes.
There's heaps more but you get the gist.
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
(26-04-2023, 09:07 PM)rstucke Wrote: I absolutely hated the flight there and back, way to long in cattle class.

Agree Rick, and I’ve got soft. Any day flight more than 4 hours, or ANY night flight more than 2 hours, I now buy a flat bed sleeper option………..and the service that goes with the expensive ticket!  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Unfortunately Lea agrees with you Grant
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
(27-04-2023, 09:32 PM)Barry Wrote: Unfortunately Lea agrees with you Grant

My overseas holidays are hard worked for, and not multiple times per year, so I think they should now start as I leave the front door, and end when I get back home. 

So I just add the flat bed sleeper flights, to the accommodation, meals, shopping etc, and put aside the total cost to spend, to ensure the whole trip is pleasurable & worthwhile.

I used to start dreading the flight home, half way through a holiday, which started to ruin the whole experience.

I’m over starting a holiday as we touchdown, relieved to just get off the plane, and ending at the destination airport departure drop off, too many days / hours from home.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab