Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bus Stop Wrap Up
We have arrived home safely from another fabulous Bus Stop. 14 days and 3500kms. Well done Deb and Phil for your organising for another year - the park didnt make it easy with their slack style of booking - the footy club let you down, the bowling club rescued us, the cruise location was fun and the weather wasn't too bad!

Well done to Paul (Cornish) for another year of trophies - they look great and I was lucky enough to be awarded one for the earliest arrival - to be honest I just wanted to get there and get set up - I was sick of one night set ups and pull downs the next morning. Thanks to Alpal for his continued race support - we need to get more involved with remote control racing - maybe we should do it at Old Bar as well? The fancy dress night was lots of fun - well done to so many of you that dressed up!

We left on Tuesday morning and headed to near Adelaide and stayed at a friends place and picked up an ebay purchase he had been holding onto since New Years - a New Beetle wind deflector - we stayed in his driveway for the night and a storm hit - tree branches were hitting the roof of Spotty from the wind and rain so didnt get the best nights' sleep so we set off Wednesday morning and only got as far as Ouyen which was 390kms. We found a caravan park that was pretty empty and the wind was howling! More and more campers rolled in as the afternoon wore on - had to set the roll out awning up to dry it off from the day before - the wind didn't do it any favours and it was already a bit bent so its days were numbered. Slept a lot better that night so we were thinking of our next spot and made it to Griffith at 412kms only this time we wussed out and spent the night in a motel.  We then set out and decided on one more stop - Goulburn was too close so we opted for Mittagong - it was the worst campsite of the whole trip - sloping, narrow, along the road and crammed between 2 cabins and I paid $50 for the displeasure! (See the second photo) Looking forward to my own bed tonight!

Anyway - enough of my complaining - we had a great time- can't wait until next year.  On the way home, we stopped at Anaconda - they had the 2.5m wide awning on sale for $99 down from $299 until tomorrow PLUS it came with a $30 gift card! Scott has already swapped it over! I hope everyone makes it home safely and start posting up their travels!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Great wrap up Mel! We too had a great bus stop, and it was great to catch up with old friends, particularly the ones we haven’t seen for 5+ years! It was also awesome to meet some new Kombi crazies. 
The caravan park chosen was sensational with staff who looked after us really well. 
I’m looking forward to the next time we can make across Bass Strait and see you all again.
Tassietinker  Heart
74 Bay Kombi ‘the Doctor’ 
Strathalbyn was a great choice. 
So much to do in the town. 
We will definitely be heading back for a bigger explore. 

Was great to catch up with KC’ers I know and meet new ones
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Thank you all who were involved in the prep and running of the '23 Bus Stop, a brilliant result.
Margaret and I had a great time and we were impressed by the open friendliness to new comers as well as us long time posters but Bus Stop virgins. All the travelling (all 67 kms each way) with Kombi protesting about the lack of love after travelling through the Mannum flood waters and getting water in the wheel brgs, meant we couldn't do the cruise, but we still enjoyed our day shopping and chatting with those that didn't go because they had kombi problems as well.

The Dinner was great, the food was top notch and the party atmosphere was brilliant with all the variety of costumes .... Margaret made the comment that we met so many people we won't recognise the follow morning was right on the money, but we had fun trying guess who was which character at the dinner :lol:

T1 Terry & Margaret
As a Bus Stop Virgin who couldn't even manage to drag a Kombi along,   Confused , what can I say. Finally meeting so many people I've talked with for years, and getting to see their busses made for an enjoyable weekend. Thanks again to Deb and everyone else involved in turning out a great weekend.
And yes I will get onto the bus and have it on the road eventually. After all we've spent on the parts that are waiting to be attached I have no choice!
We are with Wombatventures - It was our first 'Bus Stop' weekend as well - and great to be able to finally put a face to a few of the members of this tremendous club.

Strathalbyn is a great little town, the dinner was heaps of fun, and the sportsmanship demonstrated at the Kombi Races was top class.
Making up the race rules as you go along is the way to go !

Well done Deb & Co 
Cheers
Grant & Jayne
1971 Sopru aka Doob
Any talk of next years location at this stage?
Stay tuned Brad
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Mittagong Melissa? 
   Big Grin
(17-04-2023, 12:12 PM)68Bus Wrote: Any talk of next years location at this stage?

SE Qld would be nice, there’s a chance I’ll be ready