Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NSW to WA transport
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience in transporting unreg Kombi door to door across Oz.
Cheers Shane
62 Beetle, 74 Kombi, 60 Karmann Ghia,  06 Jetta, 16 Amarok
It was many years ago now (2009 I think?), but we had a Kombi transported from Sydney to Perth.  Initially we contacted the railways, but were told the Kombi was too tall for the car transport carriages.  We then phoned around the various trucking transport companies to get quotes.  From memory I think we ended up with Toll Transport.  Funny thing was that we picked the Kombi up from the rail depot in Perth!!  Apparently Toll Transport had access to different  rail carriages which could handle taller vehicles!  Our Kombi was registered at the time, so it was a depot-to-depot service.  I guess an unregistered vehicle would require a flat-bed towing service at either end. 
Is your vehicle drivable? Or at least rolling - with brakes working ?? For the loading & unloading.

From memory ....
  • They required fairly accurate dimensions and weight of the vehicle to give a quote. 
  • Be as flexible as possible with pick up & delivery dates - this seems to effect the price they charge.
  • They were all very insistent about not having any additional luggage in the vehicle.
  • Take an inventory of anything that is left with the vehicle that could be removed. (Spare wheel - tools etc..) 
  • They do not like major oil leaks !
  • Have a spare set of keys to take with you. 
  • Strap down anything that could shake loose during the trip.
  • Take lots & lots of photos of the vehicle immediately prior to them taking delivery - including roof top & undercarriage. (we took photos at the Toll Transport depot in Sydney).
  • Do a thorough inspection of the vehicle at the WA end - before you take delivery - for any transport damage - Including roof & undercarriage damage. Again, take lots of photos if there are issues.
  • I have heard that in some regional areas, they still load & unload vehicles with a forklift or crane! - Check that it is a roll-on & roll-off transport system for the entire trip.

Good luck. 
Cheers
Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob
(11-04-2023, 05:31 PM)Doob Wrote: It was many years ago now (2009 I think?), but we had a Kombi transported from Sydney to Perth.  Initially we contacted the railways, but were told the Kombi was too tall for the car transport carriages.  We then phoned around the various trucking transport companies to get quotes.  From memory I think we ended up with Toll Transport.  Funny thing was that we picked the Kombi up from the rail depot in Perth!!  Apparently Toll Transport had access to different  rail carriages which could handle taller vehicles!  Our Kombi was registered at the time, so it was a depot-to-depot service.  I guess an unregistered vehicle would require a flat-bed towing service at either end. 
Is your vehicle drivable? Or at least rolling - with brakes working ?? For the loading & unloading.

From memory ....
  • They required fairly accurate dimensions and weight of the vehicle to give a quote. 
  • Be as flexible as possible with pick up & delivery dates - this seems to effect the price they charge.
  • They were all very insistent about not having any additional luggage in the vehicle.
  • Take an inventory of anything that is left with the vehicle that could be removed. (Spare wheel - tools etc..) 
  • They do not like major oil leaks !
  • Have a spare set of keys to take with you. 
  • Strap down anything that could shake loose during the trip.
  • Take lots & lots of photos of the vehicle immediately prior to them taking delivery - including roof top & undercarriage. (we took photos at the Toll Transport depot in Sydney).
  • Do a thorough inspection of the vehicle at the WA end - before you take delivery - for any transport damage - Including roof & undercarriage damage. Again, take lots of photos if there are issues.
  • I have heard that in some regional areas, they still load & unload vehicles with a forklift or crane! - Check that it is a roll-on & roll-off transport system for the entire trip.

Good luck. 
Cheers
Grant
Thanks Grant,

Yes it's drivable, just, but unregistered. I'll contact Toll & see what they  say.

Cheers Shane
If it’s driveable, also try CEVA Logistics, but not sure if they service WA.

I’ve never needed to transport a Kombi, but I know others have, and had good experiences with CEVA.

https://cevacarcarrying.com.au/
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(11-04-2023, 06:14 PM)Grantus Wrote: If it’s driveable, also try CEVA Logistics, but not sure if they service WA.

I’ve never needed to transport a Kombi, but I know others have, and had good experiences with CEVA.

https://cevacarcarrying.com.au/
Thanks Grants,

Probably should have mentioned I already booked CEVA, promised me pick up day only to tell me on the day after many calls from me that it wasn't happening then or any time soon, only when they had a vehicle in the area. Hence looking for alternative.

Cheers Shane
If you log in to Truckit you can list what you want to move then sit back and wait for quotes. I've used them for some large items across the country 

(11-04-2023, 07:49 PM)Tintop Wrote: If you log in to Truckit you can list what you want to move then sit back and wait for quotes. I've used them for some large items across the country 

Thanks Tintop,

Another option.
If it’s a camper make sure you have the pop top REALLY secured. 
They take no responsibility for bits flying off. 

If it is a camper do some homework as how to prove the engineering. 
You can’t “just register” an interstate camper

I have used CEVA door to door and very happy.
It was Cold Coast to Sydney
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Go to the local RMS office if you are in NSW and get an unregistered vehicle transfer certificate, then you can drive it to the depot as well as having the vehicle with official RMS paperwork in your name, it makes a huge difference when registering interstate. You might be able to find a transport company with vehicle pallets that the kombi can be strapped down on making it easier for the vehicle to be loaded and unloaded at depots as it makes its way across the country as a backload. The only other method is a drop-deck trailer with loading ramps that will become part of a roadtrain for the trip between SA and Perth. Make sure you add a condition that the vehicle is not to be lifted by forklift, I've seen some terrible vehicle damage occur with rogue operators cutting corners to save a few $$

T1 Terry
Good points raised by T1 Terry.
In WA you can get a temporary permit to drive an unregistered vehicle for 48 hrs - with restrictions - (basically for the intent of getting the vehicle repaired and re-registered.)
https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensin...permit.asp
But the vehicle needs to be reasonably roadworthy.

I our case, having the old NSW registration papers from the previous owner (in addition to proof of ownership) - helped a great deal with the WA vehicle inspection and registration process.
Cheers
Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob