Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strathalbyn 2023…Our Trip
Thought I’d start this to diarise our slow trip to SA…..

Left Northern Beaches on Saturday 25th, heading towards Bathurst via Bells Line of Road.
Stopped at Bilpin for a coffee and a warm apple pie after some pretty sketchy driving through heavy fog and drizzling rain. Passed a rear-end accident and decided it was time for a break.

Re-energised we made Bathurst in the afternoon and stayed overnight in Perthville at Barcoos Farmstay.
Place is a working farm with limited power sites and plenty of unpowered spots.
Amenities are a Shearer’s kitchen, quite modern and well equipped with good toilets and hot showers in the same block. Certainly made our stopover easier as it was pi55ing down at one stage with an awesome thunder & lightning show that you can only get out West. Cool
Ticked all our boxes !! I would recommend this place as an option to any of the major campgrounds in Bathurst……was $30.00 per night for two on a powered site.

Setup in the lee of an old Caravan...to get out of the howling wind.

Next morning we drove around Mt Panorama (when in Rome…. Big Grin) and found a new respect for the V8 supercar driver’s skill up and over the mountain, down through the “esses”……
“walk a mile in my shoes “ as the saying goes……
I managed 50kph at one point, in a fully laden Camper with my co-pilot wondering if indeed this was a good idea……and only had one “Oh Fu%$”  moment….
The corners come up very quickly in a kombi !!  Sick
Managed the top legal speed permitted in NSW, down Conrod Straight…..yeah, yeah….60kph. Rolleyes
Before moving on, we had a look at some awesome vehicles in the Mt Panorama museum....loved the Phase III GTHO  Cool

From Bathurst we headed off into Orange and found a town seriously hit by Covid…..most of the shops were closed with only a handful of local businesses open……mostly pubs.
We decided to press on the Forbes , the destination of the 2016 Bus Stop…….and in my opinion, one of the best events ever . 
We’re currently at the Apex River campground where we were hosted previously.

Campground has re-opened after the floods and is better than ever and looking forward to any other kombis that want to stop over on their way to SA. Would be wise to call ahead and secure a site, they are getting increasingly busier as Easter draws closer. 
Brett is the Manager and a top fella that will look after you.
This morning we took a bus in to town for a bit of a look around and to do some shopping. The bus picks up at the front gate, takes you into town and back for the princely sum of $2.50 per head. It operates on a “hop on, hop off” as many times as you want basis, with set pick up and return times to the campground.

Found this old building sign in a back alley...

Sally, our driver, also drove the Shuttle to the 2016 Bus Stop Dinner !! 
We had a great chat and she was stoked to hear that we really wanted to come back to Forbes enroute to SA.
We’re here for one more night and we’ll be heading off…….somewhere……tomorrow towards Broken Hill - ish. Lovely and peaceful here with the sound of the Lachlan River lulling us to sleep at night. 
Only a handful of travellers here which makes this place so special.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
If you head to Broken Hill that way, you will probably use the Bogan Gate to Nyngan route through the Wheat belt roads that roughly follow the rail line from silo to silo. I spend 3 mths on that rail line cleaning ballast off the rail clips so they could be seen on the rail inspection. 
It was about  2003 or so, but I doubt much has changed since then. A good collection of towns along that road, the Rabbit Trap hotel is in a little town called Albert, it was well known as the spot to collect a beer coaster from and bragging rights around the campfire  Cool
When you come out of that road to join onto the Mitchell Hwy, there was a great little hotel that served a great counter lunch on that corner, hope it's still there, well worth the stop if it is .....

T1 Terry
Nice read…………..Apex at Forbes………..one of my favourite “Bus Stop” destinations as well

We are heading north up to Crescent at the end of April to camp with our kids so Strathalbyn was not on our radar to cover the miles in opposite directions……………

Have fun everyone ………no doubt you will………..
Great enjoyable travel update Mark…….keep it coming!  Cool
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Ok, next instalment….”It’s Wet Out West !! “

Woke to constant drizzle in Forbes, slowly getting heavier.
Perfect…just in time to pack everything up Dodgy
It’s only water…and after a couple of good strong coffees, I donned the Akubra, Stormtech jacket and proceeded to roll up awnings, mats and generally break camp.
The rain just got heavier the quicker I worked, so in the end I just went about things at a sensible pace.
Once packed, the rain eased to occasional sprinkles……thanks Huey  Tongue

Said our goodbyes and headed off towards Nyngan. Went to fill up petrol but the two stations we stopped at were barricaded up & I didn’t really want to double back into town, so we pressed on.
There’s fuel in Tullamore and I figured I had about 100k’s left in the tank, so off we went…
Rain was persistent the entire way and the road has seen better days. Lots of potholes and bloody big trucks that command the majority of road real estate saw us potter along at 90-95 kph.
Pulled into the only petrol station in Tullamore to find that the Unleaded pump had broken down and wasn’t due to be fixed for some time….bugger…on we go….on the smell of an oily rag…
Asked a couple of fellas where the closest fuel was and was told about 40 k’s further down the road in a town called Albert….what we weren’t told was that Albert is not on the road we were travelling and had to turn off to get there………..I suppose local advice is great if you’re a local !!
(…they meant well.)
Yeah, right…….80 k’s later and Tottenham came into view….with petrol !! Yay ….Only issue was that the pump was pre-pay only, so I couldn’t fill up so just dumped $60 worth in, knowing it’d get us to Nyngan.

Not much happening in Nyngan so we pushed on to Cobar. Similar sorts of road conditions/ light rain with the exception of the constant uphill grade between Nyngan and Cobar…..didn’t let up until about 30 k’s from Cobar. The kombi breathed a sigh of relief and we cruised into Cobar, topped the tank up and settled in to the Cobar Caravan Park. 

Caught the free shuttle into the Cobar Bowling and Cricket Club for dinner and a few cleansing ales/wines. Fed and watered , we made the return journey and settled in for the night…..We’re here for a couple of days and then heading off to Whitecliffs.
More to come….
Cheers,
Mark

The Great Western Hotel is also a good spot for a feed in Cobar.
Last time I was in Tottenham, was in the late 70’s. Dirt roads in all directions to get in or out of the place, and there was a CBC Bank in the main street! We were there with the girlfriend of the CBC Bank manager, for her to visit, after he asked for a transfer from the CBC Bank in Wynyard Sydney, (hoping for a suburban branch closer to home)………….and they sent him to Tottenham!!!  Big Grin
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Whitecliffs ..... are you heading to Cameron Corner and across to the Stzelecki Track and down that way ..... certainly off the beaten track :lol:

T1 Terry
No idea !
We decide on the morning we leave…. Big Grin

Today was spent sightseeing in Cobar…..lots of mining related stuff…figures  Rolleyes.

Cobar Visitor Information Centre

Not a huge fan of how we’re depleting resources and leaving bloody great pits on the landscape, so I took some pics of the kombi in front of Big Things instead….

Best part of today was when Sue suggested going to the Cobar Reservoir to graze on our packed lunch.
Found it ….and what a beautiful spot it is ! 

Cheers,
Mark

The locals were using chicken pieces as bait in the traps, then moved on to small carp ..... lots of yabbies caught with both baits and they make short work of the carp leaving nothing but bones.
I wonder if the yabbies around Menindee are breeding fast enough to keep up with the food supply  Rolleyes

T1 Terry