Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kombi fire
(25-02-2023, 06:28 PM)Michael92 Wrote: Very sadly the Banana Sundae is no more.

The beautiful ex Melissa air cooled T3 was caught up in the Ingleside fire yesterday.

Guess that is a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

While they are only Kombis - what NON Kombi people don't get is that they are more than steel, rubber, glass and wires. Our Kombis have foibles  - which give them personality. They have taken us places and carried those we hold dear. They respond to our attention, they are unique and there will be no more like them.

Vale the Banana Sundae.....

Yet another sad end to a beautiful piece of art, do you think it could be recoverable? Or just too sad to contemplate it .... 
I think if anything happened to Kombi, I'd have to rebuild it, even if it was only the ignition key left that was usable .... these days, kombis are becoming a bit like grandfathers old axe, had 10 handles and 3 heads, but still grandfathers old axe ........

T1 Terry
https://www.northernbeachesadvocate.com....ssic-cars/
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.
(26-02-2023, 01:42 PM)T1 Terry Wrote: Yet another sad end to a beautiful piece of art, do you think it could be recoverable? Or just too sad to contemplate it .... 
I think if anything happened to Kombi, I'd have to rebuild it, even if it was only the ignition key left that was usable .... these days, kombis are becoming a bit like grandfathers old axe, had 10 handles and 3 heads, but still grandfathers old axe ........

T1 Terry

It would be a nice idea Terry, however I'm afraid my T3 has been subject to a severe and I suspect sustained heat cycle.

The interior has melted - there is no way you could even find an ignition switch to start from.

Panels are not warped, (though not exactly painted any longer) and I have yet to actually look at the engine bay.

If it had been a split screen it might have stood a better chance of a recovery - less plastic / more metal.

I may see if the Kombi Whisperer is interested in anything that could be useful for him or any of his clients.

Such a pity.