Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What made you happy today?
Started restoring some old bits n pieces I was given on Friday....

My son responded to a "free furniture" ad. in Thornleigh, (he's just moved into a place in Leichardt and needed "stuff" to furnish their house) , and the fella was giving away house contents after his mum had moved into a nursing home....house has been sold, as Dad had died a few years ago.

Kim scored very well ! All the furniture was hand made, French Polished solid Qld. Maple and comprised a 3 door wardrobe,(all internal drawers dovetailed), a matching 2 door Lowboy a superb matching dresser with attached, ornate and etched circular mirror.....plus a few other small tables and pieces....all solid timber....no veneers.  Cool All made in the early '50's.
All the pieces were very heavy and took ages to get them out of the house and onto a trailer that I'd borrowed....but we got there.
The fella's father was a Joiner and French Polisher and had made these specially for themselves.....just superb craftsmanship.

I asked why he was giving them away and he said he just couldn't be bothered having to haggle with people over prices and just needed the house empty asap. I jokingly asked if he needed to get rid of anything in the garage and he said,
" sure.....take whatever you want....not much left...my brother has been through and taken all the good stuff.....tools etc. "

I ended up with an awesome brass Salter, 200lb Trade scale, a solid brass double-pulley block & tackle, a bucket full of really good rope and some odd blocks, chain and lifting pieces.
So I spent this morning starting to tidy the scale up and pulled the block 'n' tackle apart to replace the axle bolts.

I know, I know.....I'm weird... Tongue  but I just love old, solid stuff that will give another 50 years of good use if given a little love.
...and Kim has inherited this trait.....he is over the moon with the pieces he picked up and went to the local and bought the guy a couple of cases of beer to say thanks....he would not accept money and I think it was 'cause he wanted someone else to love his folks' stuff as they had.....and not just flip it for a bit of cash  Heart
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
That’s a “Good Feel Day “ all round………………everyone is happy !

Us………..we just took the boat for a couple of sprints up and down the Pittwater……….Spring is coming !!
Gotta love a NE………

It’s a Pittwater Landing ………………..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(28-08-2022, 03:41 PM)Oldman Wrote: Started restoring some old bits n pieces I was given on Friday....

My son responded to a "free furniture" ad. in Thornleigh, (he's just moved into a place in Leichardt and needed "stuff" to furnish their house) , and the fella was giving away house contents after his mum had moved into a nursing home....house has been sold, as Dad had died a few years ago.

Kim scored very well ! All the furniture was hand made, French Polished solid Qld. Maple and comprised a 3 door wardrobe,(all internal drawers dovetailed), a matching 2 door Lowboy a superb matching dresser with attached, ornate and etched circular mirror.....plus a few other small tables and pieces....all solid timber....no veneers.  Cool All made in the early '50's.
All the pieces were very heavy and took ages to get them out of the house and onto a trailer that I'd borrowed....but we got there.
The fella's father was a Joiner and French Polisher and had made these specially for themselves.....just superb craftsmanship.

I asked why he was giving them away and he said he just couldn't be bothered having to haggle with people over prices and just needed the house empty asap. I jokingly asked if he needed to get rid of anything in the garage and he said,
" sure.....take whatever you want....not much left...my brother has been through and taken all the good stuff.....tools etc. "

I ended up with an awesome brass Salter, 200lb Trade scale, a solid brass double-pulley block & tackle, a bucket full of really good rope and some odd blocks, chain and lifting pieces.
So I spent this morning starting to tidy the scale up and pulled the block 'n' tackle apart to replace the axle bolts.

I know, I know.....I'm weird... Tongue  but I just love old, solid stuff that will give another 50 years of good use if given a little love.
...and Kim has inherited this trait.....he is over the moon with the pieces he picked up and went to the local and bought the guy a couple of cases of beer to say thanks....he would not accept money and I think it was 'cause he wanted someone else to love his folks' stuff as they had.....and not just flip it for a bit of cash  Heart
Proper old stuff is absolutely the best Mark. I went to the dump to picked up a door handle that had been put aside for me last week. Had to go home and get the trailer. Cost me $20 but I now have a new ( read 50s kitchen) laundry cupboard, a stand to put my power tools in, 2 bed frames that I have plans to make folding work bench out of and a heap of sundry items that will be useful. Oh and a door handle/lock that has already been used.
To many good usable items get chucked away and useless news crap bought to reach them.
Yes, it would’ve been unthinkable to see this furniture broken up in the back of a rubbish truck and all that great , old hardware buried at the tip…..
I’m hoping to amble through a few junk shops on the way to Strath. next Easter  Big Grin
Keep saving the good stuff Terry  Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Happy I don't need a table.. I wonder if they were on special before they were stacked like that or because of it

Getting an invite to father's day lunch from my daughters  Big Grin

I'll still probably have to pay even though they're both circa 30 years old   Rolleyes. Anyway, I'll still be loving it!
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
We've got the Fathers Day dinner happening here with all the girls/partners/family & grand kids.
The deal is I get to cook a baked dinner for 10. Loving it  Smile .That will make me happy!
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Ahhh, nice David. Love a big family get together too. And I've never minded being stuck with the meat cooking duties either. Beers go well with that  Smile
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
Going away for three days up around the riverland in my new Ute .
The kombi is having a rest. Big Grin
I ordered a Tesla Model Y after a ton of thought and a few test drives .
At least if I stack it, my bus has a great power plant option !