Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What made you happy today?
(20-07-2022, 04:58 AM)ruby6689 Wrote: I just love kids being kids and Gracie and Joseph are such a joy to be around. It’s a testament to you and Paul’s good parenting. There’s nothing more fun than getting muddy and being allowed to.

I’m a very happy Grandmother now that Lani and Alex are once again country kids. Collecting eggs has replaced collecting toys, the nearest Maccas is hours away so it’s home grown veggies. Their Stepmum, who they now live with is an Ecologist and Conservation Biologist and her love of nature is having a marvellous effect on them.

Thank you Lorraine. Heart We are grateful to live in such a great place where the kids have plenty of open space (and I'm grateful for Nappy San! Big Grin).

Oh, that's wonderful for Lani and Alex!! So many benefits for them and those gorgeous little people would be loving it! 
I love all the practical learning that happens outdoors and wish it could be brought into schools. Just working in the garden provides plenty of maths and science lessons and I know you'll agree, good for the soul.  Wink
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
Bec says I'm weird...
Today's reason...
Yesterday I took a load of pruning to the dump.
While I was paying a bloke rocked up with 4 doors on his ute tray.
The dump bloke knows me well and within 5 minutes I'd bought the doors off the bloke who was about to dump them. I quickly unloaded the pruning and while we were loading the doors into the trailer I noticed a couple of ratty old z frame doors on the top of a skip. So I grabbed them as well.
Why am I happy...
This was one of the doors...

Compare that to a modern liquorice hinge!

And this is one of the catches off one of the z frame...

And yes I do have a spare knob to replace the dented one, if I can't straighten it out.
Best of all...
Take 5mm off the hinge side of the door and move the hinges. Add 30mm on the bottom from my stock of old bits. Fix up a couple of cracked panels and this is the door I need for a customer and it matches all of their existing doors and the latch location matches the existing latch on the door  frame.

I'm happy.
And you now all know one of the hundred + reasons Bec thinks I'm weird!
(27-07-2022, 06:18 PM)Wombatventures Wrote: Bec says I'm weird...
Today's reason...
The dump bloke knows me well and within 5 minutes I'd bought the doors off the bloke who was about to dump them. I quickly unloaded the pruning and while we were loading the doors into the trailer I noticed a couple of ratty old z frame doors on the top of a skip. So I grabbed them as well.
Why am I happy...

And yes I do have a spare knob to replace the dented one, if I can't straighten it out.
Best of all...
Take 5mm off the hinge side of the door and move the hinges. Add 30mm on the bottom from my stock of old bits. Fix up a couple of cracked panels and this is the door I need for a customer and it matches all of their existing doors and the latch location matches the existing latch on the door  frame.

I'm happy.

Great pickup Terry  Big Grin
Why anyone would throw away doors like that is beyond me…….they’re beautiful!
Solid, inlay panel doors like that cost a fortune and you’d never get them built like those, these days.
No wonder you’re happy !
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I rang some places in Adelaide that I know of. None floating around.  $250 each minimum if they were. The run to Strathalbyn was to pick up some newer (30s/40s) doors to make do. $100 each. This one was a great find. 
Fixing and restoring doors has become a passion for me. Why put a crap modern door in a 100 year old house. My customers on this job are already happy with 2 doors I've managed to replace. This one leaves me just one to find.
Today's reason...
Why am I happy...

Best of all...

I'm happy.
Excellent stuff Terry!

Carole has many clients moving, downsizing, or refreshing, and most of them have so much stuff to move on. Household goods, artwork, antiques, jewellery & clothing. All of which, is high quality, hardly used, and in excellent condition.

They don’t do gumtree, or online selling, or want to deal with resellers, so happily donate the goods for Carole to do a market stall. The funds raised, are then used, to help people buy food and formula, who rescue and nurse injured wildlife, pay for trees for volunteer greening projects, or help others less fortunate that a few dollars makes a huge difffernce.

No overheads, no admin fees, and all donated time to do the stall, so every dollar raised, is sent on in full. Best of all, no waste, and stuff is recycled for others to continue to enjoy……

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Today's reason...
Why am I happy...

Best of all...

I'm happy.
Coincidence that you are in the right place at the right time, to be able to pick up those doors. 
It's a shame that many of old things are discarded because they are old or most people haven't got time money or skills to be able to fix them. Good to see you will be bring those beauties back to life.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Great idea Grant.
As may have been noticed my yard accumulates things to be removed, restored, or repurposed. Bec just puts her blinkers on when she goes outside.
I don't hoard, I just hold onto the good stuff until it finds a new place to live.... Rolleyes Wink
Today's reason...
Why am I happy...

Best of all...

I'm happy.
What is weird about this ?
(28-07-2022, 01:37 AM)KIWI Wrote: What is weird about this ?
Nothing, from where I sit !  Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Me neither. I like bringing old stuff back to usable.

Got the top out and the split panels...

Reused the old nails for the trim...

Sadly had to replace the old panels with 3 ply (7mm), but with paint they'll look fine. Kept the old panels, I'm going to try resurrecting them for future repairs.

Will hang it and get it fitting right tomorrow. Then sand it up and prime it. The owners want to do the painting when they move in so will put them onto the right enamel trim & door paint.
Some days I enjoy my work.  Wink