Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What made you happy today?
(16-07-2022, 03:10 PM)Oldman Wrote: Using my No.5 & 6 Record bench planes today…..
I had to cut and fit a couple of templates for some glass fillets.
NOTHING sings like a sharp bench plane wiping microns off timber  Big Grin

I've got 5 or 6 decent hand planes. 4 of them I've renovated and re set, a couple to go. Nothing better than a good plane to get a door fitting spot on. 
I keep trying to steal my dads ones but so far I've only got one.... just 4 or 5 to go! Wink
(16-07-2022, 04:29 PM)Wombatventures Wrote: I've got 5 or 6 decent hand planes. 4 of them I've renovated and re set, a couple to go. Nothing better than a good plane to get a door fitting spot on. 
I keep trying to steal my dads ones but so far I've only got one.... just 4 or 5 to go! Wink

Agree 100% !
I have a good collection / selection depending on the job to do.....all old steel.
There is something very tactile about using a hand tool that has provenance  Wink...it's almost as if the previous owner is passing on their skills...
...and when it comes to working with timber, no electric tool can replace the finesse that a hand tool has... Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(16-07-2022, 04:29 PM)Wombatventures Wrote: I've got 5 or 6 decent hand planes. 4 of them I've renovated and re set, a couple to go. Nothing better than a good plane to get a door fitting spot on. 

I got given some of my tools from my Grandfather, as he knew I was the only family member that was interested in Woodwork. They are very sentimental to me and knowing the provenance of those tools, as my grandfather used them when he was an apprentice in the 1920's  Smile
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(16-07-2022, 09:10 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: I got given some of my tools from my Grandfather, as he knew I was the only family member that was interested in Woodwork. They are very sentimental to me and knowing the provenance of those tools, as my grandfather used them when he was an apprentice in the 1920's  Smile

Nice Wayne…..nice  Wink
Cheers,
Mark

Seeing the tin lids thrive the past couple of weeks during school holidays. We had some luck with the weather and the snakes are not such a threat here this time of year, so they spent the majority of their holidays playing, creating, imagining and getting muddy… those things kids used to do so well which have been replaced with bloomin’ screens! We have rules on limited screen time during the school term but the iPad was hidden over the holidays and it was the best thing we could have done.
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
Chrissy, Gracie and Joey are fortunate to have you and Paul for parents…..  Cool
You have both guided them well and they are wonderful, independent little humans in their own right.
We just love hearing from them whenever we catch up. I particularly loved Joey’s account of his “Lightning Gun” idea at Dubbo……..
How’s that progressing?  Tongue
He’ll be on a moon mission before you know it !
Cheers,
Mark

(16-07-2022, 09:10 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: I got given some of my tools from my Grandfather, as he knew I was the only family member that was interested in Woodwork. They are very sentimental to me and knowing the provenance of those tools, as my grandfather used them when he was an apprentice in the 1920's  Smile

+1
Father's and Uncle's from when they emigrated from Scotland including Stanley  combination planes.
PR
(19-07-2022, 10:44 AM)KIWI Wrote: +1
Father's and Uncle's from when they emigrated from Scotland including Stanley  combination planes.
PR

I have 2 Stanley's,  they are my goto,  grab and use planes. Not high class but perfect for most jobs.
(19-07-2022, 07:21 AM)Oldman Wrote: Chrissy, Gracie and Joey are fortunate to have you and Paul for parents…..  Cool
You have both guided them well and they are wonderful, independent little humans in their own right.
We just love hearing from them whenever we catch up. I particularly loved Joey’s account of his “Lightning Gun” idea at Dubbo……..
How’s that progressing?  Tongue
He’ll be on a moon mission before you know it !

Oh thank you Mark! Heart We sure are proud of them. 
Haha! Joey has some very imaginative ideas for inventions at times and leaves a trail of destruction in trying to bring some of them to life! I find items picked out of the recycling bin quite often along with nails, screws, bits of old wire, wood or anything else he thinks might be useful.  Big Grin
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
(18-07-2022, 11:27 PM)Ninga Wrote: Seeing the tin lids thrive the past couple of weeks during school holidays. We had some luck with the weather and the snakes are not such a threat here this time of year, so they spent the majority of their holidays playing, creating, imagining and getting muddy… those things kids used to do so well which have been replaced with bloomin’ screens! We have rules on limited screen time during the school term but the iPad was hidden over the holidays and it was the best thing we could have done.

I just love kids being kids and Gracie and Joseph are such a joy to be around. It’s a testament to you and Paul’s good parenting. There’s nothing more fun than getting muddy and being allowed to.

I’m a very happy Grandmother now that Lani and Alex are once again country kids. Collecting eggs has replaced collecting toys, the nearest Maccas is hours away so it’s home grown veggies. Their Stepmum, who they now live with is an Ecologist and Conservation Biologist and her love of nature is having a marvellous effect on them.
1967 Blue Bus Panelvan, 1976 Molly Sopru Campmobile, 1977 BayMonty Ute