Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace axle seal?
(25-02-2023, 07:06 AM)Pabloako Wrote: Well, I had a 50:50 chance and got the wrong one.  I have the old one out now, so I will have to take it to the shop in Brisbane to get the correct size.  The one I have from JK is 70mm and a couple of mm too large. 
Sad

Yep I went in to Mick Motors to get mine. It depends on the size of your transmission apparently. After counting the number of ribs on the bottom of it (5 on mine) turns out I have an 1800 and needed a different seal to the one they were going to sell me at first
In addition to counting the ribs - there should be a part No / Code No stamped on the transmission case.
For my 3 rib case the No is CA 095 74 71 [ i.e. it is a CA Code transmission - probably built in 1971 ]
When ordering parts it might help to quote this Code. 
Often these old vehicles no longer have the original transmission installed. So quoting the vehicle year model, chassis No and Engine No, might not define the transmission currently installed.
 Cheers Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob
Ok after lunch I attacked things anew, and ended up getting the seal out by tapping (hammering really) a screwdriver in between the seal and the metal. That let me pry from the outside instead of the inside and did the job. If that's the worst of this job I will be a happy chappy.

I now have a similar question to Pabloako. As I was trying to get the seal out I noticed a couple of things that seemed to be just sitting loose behind the seal and I pulled them out. One looks like the thrust ring that Pabloako mentions. And the other is a circular spring that's stretchy, larger than the thrust ring or the axle so not entirely obvious where it belongs. Would anyone know how I put these two things in before I move to putting the new seal in?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-02-2023, 03:58 PM)d_honeyman Wrote: Ok after lunch I attacked things anew, and ended up getting the seal out by tapping (hammering really) a screwdriver in between the seal and the metal. That let me pry from the outside instead of the inside and did the job. If that's the worst of this job I will be a happy chappy.

I now have a similar question to Pabloako. As I was trying to get the seal out I noticed a couple of things that seemed to be just sitting loose behind the seal and I pulled them out. One looks like the thrust ring that Pabloako mentions. And the other is a circular spring that's stretchy, larger than the thrust ring or the axle so not entirely obvious where it belongs. Would anyone know how I put these two things in before I move to putting the new seal in?

supposed to sit around the inside of the seal to supply tension on the flange
(25-02-2023, 04:15 PM)rstucke Wrote: supposed to sit around the inside of the seal to supply tension on the flange

Hmmm. No stretchy spring on the seal I took out.  Now I am worried as to where that could have gone. ?

I have taken the opportunity to mark the position of the large adjusting ring with a paint pen,  unscrew screw it a small amount and use a hook to take out the O-ring and replace it with a fresh new one.  Then screwed it back in to where it was before and a tiny fraction more.  Now I have to be very patient for Mick Motors to open on Monday.  (Patience is one thing I do not have much of!)
(25-02-2023, 04:44 PM)Pabloako Wrote: Hmmm. No stretchy spring on the seal I took out.  Now I am worried as to where that could have gone. ?

I have taken the opportunity to mark the position of the large adjusting ring with a paint pen,  unscrew screw it a small amount and use a hook to take out the O-ring and replace it with a fresh new one.  Then screwed it back in to where it was before and a tiny fraction more.  Now I have to be very patient for Mick Motors to open on Monday.  (Patience is one thing I do not have much of!)

when you get a new seal you'll see where the spring went
I was going to post back here with the final update on how it all went, but have hit a hiccup. After getting the new seal in and everything back together I took her for a drive. She seemed to drive well but there was an unusual grinding or scraping noise. So I opened her up again and looking at the circlip it seems the little teeth on it have been ground off. New one coming. Everything else looked ok, and the new seal wasn't leaking, so great. But I happened to notice that there's a lot of play in the shaft that comes out of the diff. I didn't notice it before, but it doesn't seem right to be that wobbly. Does this in any way seem like it could be in the bounds of normal, or do I have a bigger problem here? You'll have to watch my little video to see it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/aQzI_3YEfQ8?feature=share
what's the chances that you loosened that big toothed adjusting ring after you took the plastic securing cap off?

(28-02-2023, 07:24 PM)Tintop Wrote: what's the chances that you loosened that big toothed adjusting ring after you took the plastic securing cap off?

Probably very good. I was not paying attention to that at all, just focused on getting the seal out. If that could be the problem, how do I get that ring back to where it should be?
I unscrewed the large adjusting ring slightly to replace the rubber O-ring that is towards the front of it. When.it was slightly out I had that "wobble".  Once tightened, the shaft was all nice a secure again .  I just used the plastic toothed cover thingy (sorry, there is probably a technical name for it) to tighten it all up, like it was a spanner.

My large adjusting ring is screwed in all the way and inset by about half a mm.  Yours looks to be protruding in the video.  Fingers crossed that is your issue.