Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivnut Tools
I want to put some Rivnuts into the base of my floor to mount some quick release bike axle brackets for transporting bikes in the T3 and Bay

Does anyone have a recommendation for the "rivnut tool"?

The vary considerably in price

This one on eBay is cheap as
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/115072448675...R-aF_ezFYQ

Like a big pop rivet - but just wondering if the strain is too much?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
I bought one of these:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/tool...3%2Fct%3Ar

Great unit, easy to use after a trial run to adjust the mandrel to get the correct tension on the rivnut itself....
I bought it to rivnut the belly pan bolts....I kept losing the coarse threaded screws that were OE ....usually shook loose after dirt road travelling.
The M6 size rivnut holds a 10mm headed bolt from memory...
Belly pan bolts are now galv. with spring washers and have not moved one iota since installing the rivnuts/nutserts.

It's one of those tools that you'll find a thousand uses for once you have it !!  Wink
I reckon it'd do your job, no problems.....
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(08-02-2023, 12:24 PM)Barry Wrote: I want to put some Rivnuts into the base of my floor to mount some quick release bike axle brackets for transporting bikes in the T3 and Bay

Does anyone have a recommendation for the "rivnut tool"?

The vary considerably in price

This one on eBay is cheap as
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/115072448675...R-aF_ezFYQ

Like a big pop rivet - but just wondering if the strain is too much?
I have one of these.
Rivnut tool
The only problem I have had is due to user error I applied too much force and broke a 4mm mandrel - luckily I was able to get a replacement.
I normally get my rivnuts from: Bolt and nut Australia
PR
Got mine from Bunnings. Kincrome one but the lighter duty one. Does struggle a bit on the bigger sizes but they are an awesome idea.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
Any of the inexpensive 'pop' tools should work up to M6 okay ... I've used a lot of M8 rivnuts ... and install them in a similar way to this YouTube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6H6wr7f...tedMonkeys
hah ha...............except that he sets it at an angle  Tongue

But thanks - that was how I thought I would do it.
Reckon it would have been a lot easier for him if he had used a socket and wrench rather than an openended

It's the holding it still and stopping the spinning that may be the problem
But guessing a tiny drop of super glue would fix that
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
here's my 'installation tool' for M8 (whether or not it is necessary) ... gripping washer locks the rivnut to the aluminium bar so you've got a bit more control of what you are doing ... hold it in place with the bar to stop it from spinning and still use 2 spanners

OK - it is the 2 washers
preferably a locking one
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
We use hundreds of these things when installing solar on the motorhome, caravan or houseboat roof. We also use them where ever the metal is not thick enough to hold a tapped thread. 
There are other types of the same idea call a cross nut. Instead of the small expanded ring, these fold out 4 tabs to form a cross on the inside surface. Great for anchoring into thin metal or plywood because the grip area behind the wall is much bigger and this stops the threaded part from spinning or simply pulling out of the hole.

The hand held rivnut tool works ok for maybe 100 uses, but we bought an air operated one that can pull up to 11mm or 7/16 threaded nuts. 
There is a rivet pulling tool that fits in a drill, maybe there is a rivnut equivalent available.
The threaded rod/bolt and nut idea works ok for 6mm or bigger , but 5mm, 4mm and 3mm fail because the thread isn't strong enough on the threaded rod or nut and it strips either under the nut or as it pulls out through rivnut .... trying to drill out a rivnut that has not been fully locked is not the easiest task ...... The bit left inside the wall also rattles a lot

T1 Terry
(10-02-2023, 08:23 AM)Barry Wrote: hah ha...............except that he sets it at an angle  Tongue

But thanks - that was how I thought I would do it.
Reckon it would have been a lot easier for him if he had used a socket and wrench rather than an open ended

….a shorter bolt would’ve been easier to control,  too……
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light