Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kombi Birth Certificate
Has anyone applied for & received a VW 'Birth Certificate' for there Kombi recently ? Was it worth it ? How did you do it? 
I read varying reports - some are disappointed other are very pleased. Some say the info for Aust assembled vehicles is a bit dodgy ?? e.g see the forum comments on https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=111535 - 
1971 Sopru aka Doob
No expert but I don’t believe you can get them for Australian CKD ones
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(31-01-2023, 01:15 PM)Doob Wrote: Has anyone applied for & received a VW 'Birth Certificate' for there Kombi recently ? Was it worth it ? How did you do it? 
I read varying reports - some are disappointed other are very pleased. Some say the info for Aust assembled vehicles is a bit dodgy ?? e.g see the forum comments on https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=111535 - 

They do not have records on Australian Kombis. Don't waste your money.
I got 5 for all the cars I had at the time, To me it was a waste of 30 -35 euros which it costs. it was through the Stiftung Auto Museum.(it has know changed)https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com...heets.html
It didn't give me any more information then what I already knew, and the information that was on it is what I supplied to them. The information was also incorrect ,like car colours and M options that were on the cars.
You are better off buying more parts for your car, it would better value for your money and you will enjoy it more. At the end of the day it is up to you.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Apparently much more accurate for fully imported ones from 1978 onwards, but I still wonder what more info the “Birth Certificate” would show, than the info already available, if you decode the VIN?
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Many thanks all...... Well, I will not pursue that ...will save me a bit of time and money  Cool
I am in the process of documenting the restoration work we have done on our 1971 Kombi Sopru Campmobile - and trying to track down some of the early history of the vehicle. With the intent of handing this over to our sons when they take over the vehicle (eventually !) 
I thought it might be cool to have a semi-official looking VW Certificate listing the vehicle specs - including paint colour code - delivery details etc... ! But it sounds like this data is not reliably available for Australia delivered CKD Kombis.

I am not sure when & where the Sopru conversion was done, but the early style of the fiberglass pop-top and interior lay out suggest it was probably done just prior to, or soon after delivery? - and possibly at the original Adelaide facility ?? (but just guessing ..!)

Tracking down the early original Sopru Campmobile specs for 1971 / 1972 vintage conversions has also been a bit of a challenge. Best I have found so far are PDF copies of a 1970 Australian VW Campmobile brochure and a 1976 Owners Manual.  
All good fun !!
1971 Sopru aka Doob
The later Sopru conversions all had an aluminium build plate supplied and fixed by Sopru, stating date of build , seating capacity and compliance with ADR . Mine is located behind the driver’s seat and is completely separate to the vehicle build plate, also in the same location…..Others have found the plate behind the passenger’s seat.
My kombi’s build date is May ‘76, Sopru conversion date September ‘76 and vehicle delivery date to the original owner as listed on the original Dealership paperwork is also September ‘76.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Thanks Mark.
Unfortunately I do not have the Sopru plate on the bulkhead behind the seat - nor any sign one was ever attached Sad .
I am not sure when Sopru started attaching these plates ? 

All I have is a Sopru key tag attached to the old original set of keys (with the old SA address on it).
Cheers Grant
1971 Sopru aka Doob
(01-02-2023, 04:34 PM)Doob Wrote: Thanks Mark.
Unfortunately I do not have the Sopru plate on the bulkhead behind the seat - nor any sign one was ever attached Sad .
I am not sure when Sopru started attaching these plates ? 

All I have is a Sopru key tag attached to the old original set of keys (with the old SA address on it).
Cheers Grant

Ooooooohhhhhhh …….. more Unicorn poo ! ……a Sopru Keytag  Cool
I’ve never seen one of those…..
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Rocking Horse droppings - Sopru key tag photos

1971 Sopru aka Doob