Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eccentric Camber Adjustment Bushes
Hi All,

Sending myself balmy trying to remove the eccentric camber bushes from the ball joints on my T2 Bay (1972 Lowlight). Both sides STUCK. Have tried gallons of lubricating fluid, two arm pullers, three arm pullers, heat, swearing and they will just not budge. Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I had a similar problem. One side I got off with a puller, but the other one was very tight. In the end I rigged up a jig in a hydraulic press and it came off relatively easily- albeit with a bit of a bang !!  See The Bentley Manual section 2 fig 7-11 .
1971 Sopru aka Doob
See attached extract from the Bentley Manual
.pdf   Ball Joint .pdf (Size: 28.96 KB / Downloads: 15)
1971 Sopru aka Doob
(22-01-2023, 02:22 PM)Doob Wrote: See attached extract from the Bentley Manual

Thanks Doob. Worked a treat and yes a BIG BANG.
"If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" as Burroughs computer engineers used to say.
PR
(25-01-2023, 10:23 AM)KIWI Wrote: "If in doubt, use a bigger hammer" as Burroughs computer engineers used to say.
PR

……and swear a bit more…..and louder…
The Gods of Frustration can’t hear you if you mutter under your breath…. Tongue
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Glad you managed to get them free Calmara!  Hope the reassemble goes well for you.
Given how seized these camber bushings were on my vehicle - it did make me wonder when was the last time the front wheel alignment & camber adjustment was done Huh
After a lot hunting around i did find an old-school mechanic who had the tools & was able to do a full front & rear wheel alignment to VW Workshop Specs.  It seems this is out of the capability of most tyre replacement shops.
This made a huge difference to the drivability of my Kombi - with much less road wander.
1971 Sopru aka Doob