Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomers Fix Stuff !! What have you repaired ?
(12-01-2023, 10:22 AM)wirrah Wrote: Hmmm... No wonder there is so much land fill these days.

Absolutely!
……don’t start me on some of the beautiful furniture that is being replaced wth chipboard crap…..
I could’ve furnished a dozen houses with Council cleanup stuff.  Dodgy
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(12-01-2023, 10:22 AM)wirrah Wrote: Hmmm... No wonder there is so much land fill these days.

This is the generation that carries on about pollution etc. Commonsense is not common.
Millions of tonnes of "green energy" wind turbine blades getting buried in landfill every YEAR.
PR
(14-01-2023, 06:07 AM)KIWI Wrote: Millions of tonnes of "green energy" wind turbine blades getting buried in landfill every YEAR.
PR

Any links to that claim? I know a lot get recycled because fibreglass is a valuable resource for producing a lot of things, including making new wind turbine blades  https://designedconscious.com/plastics-i...iberglass/

T1 Terry
(15-01-2023, 10:27 AM)T1 Terry Wrote: Any links to that claim? I know a lot get recycled because fibreglass is a valuable resource for producing a lot of things, including making new wind turbine blades  https://designedconscious.com/plastics-i...iberglass/

T1 Terry
Most are currently made of carbon fibre not fibreglass.
The quantities of waste quoted are for the USA only.

"Albers notes that every one-kilowatt of wind power needs ten kilograms of WT blade materials (10 kg/kW or 10 t/MW), predicts that there will be nearly 50,000 tonnes of blade waste in 2020 and that this number will exceed 200,000 tonnes in 2034 (Albers, 2009). Andersen adopts Albers’ blade material demand figure of 10 t/MW and predicts that the amount of blade material that will need to be recycled annually is 400,000 tonnes between 2029 and 2033. It will increase to 800,000 tonnes per year by 2050 (Andersen et al., 2014)."

"Presently, most WT blade waste is sent to landfill, but this is not an environmentally benign solution, and indeed many European Union countries have forbidden the landfilling of composite waste (Pickering, 2006)."

Wind turbine blade waste in 2050

PR
A University of South Australia study published June 2022 stated:

"In many parts of the world, wind turbine blades are currently dumped in landfill, but this practice has been banned in some European countries, and with estimates suggesting there will be more than 40 million tons of blade waste worldwide by 2050, alternative solutions are urgently being sought."

End-of-life plan needed for tens of thousands of wind turbine blades

PR
I just had the climate control module in the Chrysler burn out - 'Hey, they're just $120 online from the U.S.' I get told.... Bugger that!

I pulled it apart (why not? it was broken anyway) and found a burnt out mosfet. 10 mins of soldering later it had a new mosfet on the pcb, plugged it into the car and it works perfectly. I was a bit miffed at having to pay $6.95 for the new component from Jaycar (probably get a pack of 100 on Aliexpress for that!) but hey, a win's a win Big Grin 

^Also made my son help so he could learn to fix things!
Garth

Before you criticize someone try walking a mile in their shoes - that way when you do criticize them you're a mile away and you've got their shoes!
Good stuff Garth  Cool
Having your son alongside to see that some things CAN be dismantled , diagnosed and repaired will help him down the track……
Cheers,
Mark

Wasn’t actually a repair, more just maintenance.

The workshop drinks fridge doesn’t actually have a defrost, so the ice builds up around the top fan and needs removing around once or twice a year.

Over having the fridge out of action for 24 hours whilst it melts, so I’ve developed the 2 hour fast defrost.

Unplug and wedge door open for an hour, to allow the ice to melt away from the back wall.

Plug in soldering iron, to heat up. Insert soldering iron into the centre of the ice, in a series of vertical holes, about 10mm apart, but never deep enough to touch the rear wall of the fridge.

Plastic spatula slid up the rear wall until the ice cracks into two halves.

Remove the two large ice halves, and place on the garden, to melt overnight. 

Plug the fridge back in…….and cold drinks again within hours…….. Tongue
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Wasting your time……..Chuck it out and buy a new one….. Tongue
Love an easy fix !
Particularly one you’ve thought of yourself………
Cheers,
Mark