Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type 4 (1700) Thermostat - Am I meant to have one?
Hi everyone,

I have been working on Daisy and had the yuckie job of replacing the alternator.  Whilst I had the lower tin off and giving her a good clean up, I noticed that I do not have a thermostat, or cable, however I do have the small pulley and the bolts that are required to attach the thermostat.  Is this a common thing to be missing in Kombi's in Australia (I think she spent most of her life in QLD in the past).

Daisy has a Type 4, 1700cc engine in her.

Many thanks

Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
(30-12-2022, 12:56 PM)Pabloako Wrote: Hi everyone,

I have been working on Daisy and had the yuckie job of replacing the alternator.  Whilst I had the lower tin off and giving her a good clean up, I noticed that I do not have a thermostat, or cable, however I do have the small pulley and the bolts that are required to attach the thermostat.  Is this a common thing to be missing in Kombi's in Australia (I think she spent most of her life in QLD in the past).

Daisy has a Type 4, 1700cc engine in her.

Many thanks

Paul

Yes, it's very common for the thermostat to be missing.

It's best to have a working thermostat. VW wouldn't have bothered to put them in if they weren't a good idea. It's part of the system that warms your engine up quickly. It's well known that most wear occurs in an engine when the components and oil are cold, so that's why you want to warm you engine up quickly. 

Whilst you are located in QLD, which means you probably don't have extreme minimum ambient temperatures (hence making the engine very cold thus taking a very long time to warm up), I'd suggest the oil temperature (which also gives an idea that other engine components temperature) needs to be at least 70 degrees C before the engine is considered warmed up. Last time I checked, minimum temperatures in QLD are not quite 70 degrees, so there is still some benefit to be had.

Anyway, it's one thing having a missing thermostat, but you also need to find out whether you've got missing cooling air flaps. Here's a link to a YouTube video by yours truly that will help you understand what those cooling flaps are and where they're located. Link to Cooling Flaps Video
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
Not cheap - but they are available. 

76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Hi Chris and thank you so much for the detailed response, plus the link to your excellent video.

I have had a look and I wondered what that bar in front of the oil breather box was for.   Confused
I can see by the top of the flaps that I do actually have them and they are stuck up in the failsafe mode, you talked about in your video.  After a bit of encouragement, I have managed to turn the bar (and the connector the cable screws in to) and the bar now turns one quarter turn and I can just about see the very top of the flaps moving and I can hear them when they open and close fully.   It was a bit stuck at first, but she moves now!  Considering the fight I have had with Daisy and all of the hidden surprises she has given me, I class this as a victory and I will have a drink to celebrate!

I will go on a hunt for a thermostat and cable.  Big thank you for making the video.
Ocean View, QLD
(30-12-2022, 05:26 PM)Barry Wrote: Not cheap - but they are available. 

Hi Barry and thanks for the photo.  Is that what my engine is meant to look like and all nice and new and shiny looking?   Mine has a few war scars!  Sad
I will go on a hunt for a thermostat.  I have spent a fair few dollars on the bus so far, so I might as well do this properly too.
Ocean View, QLD
Hah…… I am getting my “forever” engine built and it has been given new thermostat, flaps, heat shield and a lot more goodies. 

I wouldn’t trust a 2nd hand set up. 

Do you have the pulley?

These guys sell kits 

https://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/vw-thermostat-flaps
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(30-12-2022, 08:16 PM)Barry Wrote: Hah…… I am getting my “forever” engine built and it has been given new thermostat, flaps, heat shield and a lot more goodies. 

I wouldn’t trust a 2nd hand set up. 

Do you have the pulley?

These guys sell kits 

https://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/vw-thermostat-flaps

Thanks for the link, I will put together a shopping list.  
I have the cooling flaps and I have the pulley, so I am 2/3 of the way there!
Ocean View, QLD
Also consider talking to Vintage VeeDub about the parts. I bought Awesome Powdercoat parts and found the quality wasn’t there even though they ask prices that imply top quality.
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
If anyone finds a supplier of good quality & reliable bellow type thermostats I would be very interested 
I have a stock 1600cc motor with the push rod type connection between the thermostat and the air flap lever.

Several people have recommended Awesome Powdercoat in USA - Interesting to read that Mr Beckstar has concerns on the quality ?

I have tried a couple of NOS units but they all fail the hot water test.

There are a number of internet discussions on repairing the old thermostats.
 https://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html
 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587449

I guess this method is plausible? -  but I am a little skeptical on the success rate of trying to repair these old units?
1971 Sopru aka Doob
Try Andrew (1500king here).
https://www.facebook.com/VolksDoktor/
His trading name is VolksDoktor and he’s SA based but ships Aust. wide….
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light