Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column
In the process of rebuilding my steering column on a '72 lowlight and I'm getting more and more confused as I go. Seems I've got 3 options for the top bearing.....

This is what came out   :

and this is what I was sold as the correct bearing

Neither of which look anything like the parts diagrams I have seen which have a flanged bearing and long thrust ring. 

Can anyone enlighten me to the correct option? Grateful for any help,
                                                                                                      Mark
The diagram on the right is a later model 74>.
The other diagram is earlier 71<.
72 is very similar to 71 and earlier except the steering column is larger in 72.ignition housing is different as well due to the column being larger.
The top original bearing and thrust ring are the correct ones. Why take them out? Or is something wrong with it. I normally degrease and regrease the original and never needed to replace one. 
The new one if you do use it measure outside diameter and inside diameter and compare it to the original.
Also you have to check the height to make sure it doesn’t fowl up on anything.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(10-12-2022, 09:39 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: The diagram on the right is a later model 74>.
The other diagram is earlier 71<.
72 is very similar to 71 and earlier except the steering column is larger in 72.ignition housing is different as well due to the column being larger.
The top original bearing and thrust ring are the correct ones. Why take them out? Or is something wrong with it. I normally degrease and regrease the original and never needed to replace one. 
The new one if you do use it measure outside diameter and inside diameter and compare it to the original.
Also you have to check the height to make sure it doesn’t fowl up on anything.

Thanks Wayne that clears it up. The reason I was looking for new bits is that the original thrust ring was in pieces and I couldn't seem to find one anywhere online. So I bought the set in the second image as I was told it was the correct one. Then yesterday I was rummaging through some boxes of parts left over from a Manx Tow'd that I restored last year, and lo and behold, there was one in the box. Now that I know it's the correct one, I'll reuse the original. Many thanks for the info, 
                               Mark