Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NSW registration - body type for CTP insurance
This has been bugging me for a while and maybe some people who have more experience of the Kafkaesque inner workings of RMS can shed some light for me?

I have a 1990 T3 window van with a DIY basic camper interior.  It is registered for carrying 2 people on the compliance plate but is the same as a povo-spec caravelle without the back seats.  When I lived in Victoria CTP was no problem because everything under 2.5 tonnes(?) pays the same, but when I moved the NSW and registered here I found I was getting charged exorbitant amounts for CTP (green slip) insurance.

When I got the registration inspection/blue slip from the mechanic who initially inspected it, he put the body shape down as a minibus but when I spoke to the idiots at RMS they asked about that so I showed them a picture and explained it would fit broadly the same class as a minivan.  They put it down as a panel van with windows and seats (which, according to what I found online seems to cover estate cars/wagons/SUVs as well  Huh).  That has resulted my CTP being $700-800 per year, but when trying out different things to try and figure out why I found that CTP for a 1990 caravelle or camper costs about $300.

Any ideas why I am being fleeced like this?  Is it because a 2 seater is flagged as being a commercial vehicle so the insurers assume that I am making deliveries all day, or is it down as the wrong body code?  I want to add a back row of seats so I can carry more people, but would that also help with the CTP?

I tried explaining to someone in a call centre that the caravelle and window van are the same box on wheels from VW so surely should represent the same risk for CTP but computer says no, it's a van (and a caravelle is ???).

Cheers, Neil
1990 2.1litre MV window van in Sydney.  Wave if you see me

Messages In This Thread
NSW registration - body type for CTP insurance - by Hairyman - 29-11-2022, 11:04 PM