Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin Insight
Some information on where the Kombi Club originated from -

* AVD (AussieVeeDubbers) was the birthplace of the Kombi Club ..... thanks to the efforts of ClassicVW (Pacific) - Roy by name
* 22/01/2005 a thread was started with the idea put forward of a "Type 2 Club - Bay/Split - SE Qld"
* 27/02/2005 following significant interest a POLL Thread was set up for the club name with much contention about the name
* 22/03/2005 Thread with formalised name Kombi Club Australia was started

Things working well with events organised and attendance @ events with Kombi Konvoys becoming popular ways for a Kruize to events via threads posted on AVD.

Behind the scenes though tension was building with Roy in relation to post deletion (non compliance with rules re price for goods being posted and threads in the incorrect section being moved for his business CVWP) and sponsorship banner display issues with Mods & Administration making every endeavor to keep things calm & peaceful in doing their jobs.

* 20/05/2005 Thread started "Kombi Club Registration" with details required for registering for the on-line forum Kombi Club
* 25/06/2005 after a few hiccups with setting up & member database the site was deemed stable enough to go live.
* 13/03/2006 ClassicVW (pacific) terminated membership or was banned on AVD ..... by this time many AVD members had signed up for access to the Kombi Club Forum.

{A search for posts by CassicVW (pacific) resulted in finding all Roy's posts being removed/deleted, however, threads were still available to view other members posts + my recollection of events from involvement in AVD threads.}

Many are unaware of the history & information on where the Kombi Club originated - it just didn't happen as some believe.
Huh 52 years involved with NoH2O and H2O Volkswagens
Good “Part A” insight into the origins of The Kombi Club.

Now you need a further “Part B” post, to explain the ultimate demise of the Kombi Club, and the reasons why the independent Kombi Club Australia was formed…….
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(23-10-2022, 04:28 PM)Grantus Wrote: Good “Part A” insight into the origins of The Kombi Club.

Now you need a further “Part B” post, to explain the ultimate demise of the Kombi Club, and the reasons why the independent Kombi Club Australia was formed…….

or why the forum couldn't be taken over by the members like TBL did
most members here where in favour of it
(23-10-2022, 05:18 PM)rstucke Wrote: or why the forum couldn't be taken over by the members like TBL did

The person who had been paying the hosting refused to reply to our requests to purchase, take over or give us access to be able to do that - it would have been the best solution but it just didn't happen.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(23-10-2022, 05:18 PM)rstucke Wrote: or why the forum couldn't be taken over by the members like TBL did

I’m guessing you meant “TLB” Rick?

If so, the owner of TLB was prepared to start a discussion, and sort an amicable  handover deal to do so. 

This didn’t happen with the KC owner, as they refused to respond, but not through lack of trying….
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(23-10-2022, 07:51 PM)Grantus Wrote: I’m guessing you meant “TLB” Rick?

If so, the owner of TLB was prepared to start a discussion, and sort an amicable  handover deal to do so. 

This didn’t happen with the KC owner, as they refused to respond, but not through lack of trying….

Yes TLB (I'm mildly dyslexic)
So your saying the owners being The Bus Stop would not talk to anyone about a take over to prevent the loss of so much valuable information?
If that's it (and I'm not sure that it is) then the vw community needs to respond to them in many different ways.
(23-10-2022, 08:18 PM)rstucke Wrote: Yes TLB (I'm mildly dyslexic)
So your saying the owners being The Bus Stop would not talk to anyone about a take over to prevent the loss of so much valuable information?
If that's it (and I'm not sure that it is) then the vw community needs to respond to them in many different ways.

I have the utmost respect for Roy, and his vision with the KC forum. 

However, his Bus Stop business and the KC forum is no longer in his control, as Melissa pointed out.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(23-10-2022, 08:37 PM)Grantus Wrote: I have the utmost respect for Roy, and his vision with the KC forum. 

However, his Bus Stop business and the KC forum is no longer in his control, as Melissa pointed out.

I'm fully aware of what Roy did for the forum, but as you mention he is no longer in control
I don't know who runs the show now (guessing offspring) but to not communicate or negotiate a changeover is unforgivable.
I understand not wanting to maintain sponsorship but to just let it die considering what people have contributed is bullshit
(23-10-2022, 08:50 PM)rstucke Wrote: I'm fully aware of what Roy did for the forum, but as you mention he is no longer in control
I don't know who runs the show now (guessing offspring) but to not communicate or negotiate a changeover is unforgivable.
I understand not wanting to maintain sponsorship but to just let it die considering what people have contributed is bullshit

Yep!

Still hoping the thread starter Bert, as a founding member of the now defunct KC forum, will post his “Part B”, with maybe further insights…….
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Absolutely agree Rick. The Bus Stop business has suffered since Roy's health decline and when anyone had the courage to complain about being ripped off, they were threatened with legal action.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".