Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old Bar 2022
It was my first Old Bar. I would have to say the rain did not dampen my spirits (mainly gin) and the organizers did all they could to make the festival great. 
My favorite was driving through the town waving and beeping at the roadside partygoers. What an awesome place! 
The weather fines up and staying an extra day meant a hot shower and sunny weather. 
Smile
Another fabulous year - started off as mudfest but ended up glorious.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Agree, It was great and the organisers did so well to run it in the ridiculous mud-fest that it was.

As Mel said, the weather improved greatly on Saturday afternoon with only a bit of overnight rain and then a fantastic Sunday to bring back the sun burn .... as it should be.

Well done to all those who came and endured the mud camping, cold showers and stayed on.

I could only make it to Sunday arvo as my tent was in a swamp. Keeping Maxi clean enough to stay in the van every night was a struggle!

Regardless, I had a great time.
Mud Fest Saturday markets:

Kombi Kruze pre start line up:

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
And a few Saturday Kombi Kruisin pics…….

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Thanks for the pics Grant……my decision not to go the markets sits well with me now !  Big Grin
Another fabulous Old Bar event.
No matter who predicted what weather……they were correct !
I pulled into Lani’s on Thursday with Billie in the pouring rain and howling SE winds…..bloody awful.
For the first time, I tarped over the kombi ‘cause the wind was blowing rain against the pop top canvas and I really didn’t need to be wet inside as well as outside.

Billie hunkered down in her bed while the elements did their best to convince her that camping was just human folly…..

Sue turned up later on Thursday evening due to work commitments and was similarly unimpressed with the idea of living in an oyster for four days. Friday morning saw similar conditions and she had decided to pack up and return back home Friday afternoon.
I’m a huge fan of the Willy Weather app. and use it regularly to see swell, wind and tide predictions….and Sue has heard me all too often say how accurate it is……so, I opened it up and the prediction for Saturday was cloudy with a few light sprinkles, clearing Sunday, fine Monday with high cloud and glorious Tuesday with the rain returning Wednesday. The anticipation of better conditions on Saturday was enough to convince her to stay one more night…..and she was very glad she did…..which was great.

True to prediction, Saturday saw much improved conditions and Sue ventured to the markets.
Not being a huge fan of markets, I stayed and wandered Lani’s with Billie catching up with lots of KCA people, which was really nice. So many familiar, friendly kombi faces made OB feel like a Bus Stop.
We took Billie for a beach run in the afternoon accompanied by Jakey (Milly’s) son. They both had a fantastic time climbing the dunes and going crazy in the wind…..time well spent even ….if we did get rained on, on the way back to camp……..all good times and smiles all ‘round.

The ocean was a mess and no surfable options unfortunately on Old Bar beach.
 Wallabi point was ridiculously busy so I opted to just wander and chat….
Sunday saw beautiful weather and I fired up the stove for a hearty breakfast..

Sunday evening we wandered into Club Old Bar for the inaugural KCA dinner. It was a very loose and informal occasion (a bit like the participants  Tongue) and a good time was had by those that managed to find our group in the “quiet” area of the club…..it was a bit like Harry Potter’s Diagon Alley and I wandered around for 5 minutes myself, with a handful of drinks before I found everyone.
Note to self….find table THEN go get beverages….. Big Grin

During the evening I was at the bar waiting for service and what appeared to be some sort of Promotion was being set up behind the raffle drum. A long piece of astroturf was rolled out and putters were produced….next thing, a KCA member was front and centre with putter in hand. I forfeited my place at the bar to watch what was unfolding……
With no practice shot permitted, said member tapped the golf ball nervously……the crowd hushed and then a slow murmur became a roar of applause as the ball was sunk, winning a VERY substantial cash prize Cool
So, if you hear of a certain member being referred to as “Tiger”,…… you’ll know why …..
The whole time went all to quickly, with many leaving on Monday morning. A special thank you to those KCA members who stayed outside Lani’s but made the effort to come in and catch up with everyone….you know who you are  Wink 
I have it on good authority that the new motel rooms that have been added to Club Old Bar are very good and well worth considering if you’re not brave enough (or silly enough) to camp in this type of weather…..
Monday afternoon sees a hotly contested boules tournament.
Initiated by Terese (many thanks legend!)! this has become a regular event for those that hang around a bit longer…..and yet another excuse to catch up with each other. 
With the passing of our very much loved KCA member Peter Josling , this event is now known as the “Peter Josling Memorial Boules Tournament”.
Entry fee is a plate or contribution to the nibbles table, which is steadily growing to represent a substantial culinary grazing delight.

Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Competition was fierce, with the Regulator’s Rope brought out on a number of occasions…

Spectators and Competitors lined the field provided lots of advice and encouragement 

The Battle of the David’s saw Dave C knocking out local boy David Mc Mahon by a narrow margin

Adrian (Mordred) drove all the way from Tasmania to contest this event……he was paired against “Wedge Ripper” Scott …….with Adrian going through to the next round…

In the end there can only be one winner and the Trophy went to Andy T who, when asked to respond to the presentation speech by Terese, was heard to say,
“I only came over for a beer…..”

The sun set and the riff raff sauntered off to regroup at the camp kitchen for dinner, drinks and a few more laughs. I lit my fire, cooked a very nice dinner and enjoyed a couple of glasses of fine red for my last night in Old Bar.
Tuesday morning broke with beautiful blue skies and warm sunshine, making the pack up an easy chore.
I had the best ever run home, leaving OB at 11:45 and pulling in at home at 4:00 pm. 365 km in a smidge over 4 hrs in a Kombi pulling a trailer was great going I reckon, particularly seeing as I had to run the Heatherbrae & Hexam gauntlet !

Today sees a return to the rain…..a perfect day to sort out washing and unpacking the kombi.
Thanks to all those that came along and made this a great long weekend.
For the first time in 11 years I chose not to break camp for the cruise or the Kombi park up…..I had spent so much time getting everything waterproof, I couldn’t stand the thought of having to do it all a couple of times again.
Cheers,
Mark

Could not get there so thanks for all the photos!
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.
(05-10-2022, 09:46 AM)wirrah Wrote: Could not get there so thanks for all the photos!
I fronted a fella walking a Golden Cocker through Lani’s on Sunday thinking it might have been you, Greg..  Rolleyes
Cheers,
Mark

(05-10-2022, 09:50 AM)Oldman Wrote: I fronted a fella walking a Golden Cocker through Lani’s on Sunday thinking it might have been you, Greg..  Rolleyes

Smile No golds at the moment (Phantom was our only gold). The Engies are a blue roan (Kit Walker), 2 orange roans (Georgiana Darcy and Ginevra Weasley) and an orange and white (Iseult). The American is solid black (Einstein)

Sorry I felt like typing.
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.