Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not everyone likes a kombi…..
Shocked 
Yesterday, I experienced the ugly side of stereotyping and assumption……. Undecided

I had to drive approx. 50km due west from where I live, to pick up a couple of rear bearing sets for my bus….I want to replace them before Old Bar.
While I was in the area, I noticed that the price of 98 was at least 20 c cheaper than home, so I thought I’d swing into an Independent and fill up…..I like to support the little guys.
Well, I stood on the driveway for about 5 minutes waiting for the fella inside to clear/reset the bowser so i could fill up………….didn’t happen.
He eventually came out and asked what I wanted…..
(really…?   I’m in a petrol station with a bowser hose in the tank of a kombi…..what do you think I want……? Huh )
He looked at the kombi very suspiciously, looked at me equally suspiciously and asked how much fuel I wanted. I replied that I wanted to “fill ‘er up…”
Again, he just stood there looking at me as if i was a destitute derro without money and an old hippy rattler of a vehicle……I’m sure he wanted to tell me to move on …..but he didn’t.
Eventually he returned to his console, reset the bowser and I filled up.
I went inside to pay…..on Amex ….and was met with the same questioning stare……maybe they don’t take Amex, I thought…….but no, his face showed that he thought I’d probably stolen the card…..
So, I switched to a Mastercard, tapped….payment approved said thank you to him and walked out in wonderment…..
The really bizarre thing about this experience is that it was in a suburb where the residents have been persecuted for their religious and ethnic beliefs and it seemed that a white Caucasian driving a Hippy bus was just soooo out of the ordinary that something must be wrong…….. Huh

Not going to name the suburb, nor the local culture, not necessary in my opinion.
I would add that the kombi had just been washed, I was neatly dressed, had my hair tied back and had shoes on……
It was a strange and unsettling experience for sure……
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Yes, there are some wack jobs out there Mark

Reckon I can’t pick the suburb
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Wow!

They must have so many non paying customers, filling and “doing a runner”, that they don’t trust anyone anymore.

Surprised they didn’t have a “pay before filling” sign….. Undecided
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
……and I understand that Grant, but if that’s the case make it a prepay as you suggest….
I reckon it was because I looked so totally different to the other residents of the area and surrounds.
In this case, that wasn’t an option…..just the discretion of the operator  Rolleyes
Cheers,
Mark

(22-09-2022, 06:23 PM)Oldman Wrote: ……and I understand that Grant, but if that’s the case make it a prepay as you suggest….
I reckon it was because I looked so totally different to the other residents of the area and surrounds.
In this case, that wasn’t an option…..just the discretion of the operator  Rolleyes

They are just not used to handsome paying customers, with classic vehicles on their forecourt then….. Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Bwahhahahahah !  Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark

I took the Westy to work once (well twice). I was told once, by someone I directly worked with, that, in her mind, kombies were driven by weirdoes hanging around kids playgrounds. Not sure where that came from. Everyone else loved it, some even taking photos.
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.
Yes, it seems that the are very polarising vehicles……either loved or hated with no inbetween….
Cheers,
Mark

(22-09-2022, 10:00 AM)Oldman Wrote: Yesterday, I experienced the ugly side of stereotyping and assumption……. Undecided

I had to drive approx. 50km due west from where I live, to pick up a couple of rear bearing sets for my bus….I want to replace them before Old Bar.
While ..................... in my opinion.
I would add that the kombi had just been washed, I was neatly dressed, had my hair tied back and had shoes on……
It was a strange and unsettling experience for sure……

Always thought you looked a little suspect Herr Mark!
Alpal
Living the Dream. JFDI
1979 Bay Schmetterling
Hair tied back, neatly dressed, shoes on and a washed Kombi. I think that was the problem  Angel
‘74 Bay in pieces
‘73 Super Bug in pieces