Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harry 1976 Sopru
(30-08-2022, 10:36 PM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: Yes, that's right Greg. One of the conrods was bent slightly all this time so it was no wonder I was never able to sort the problem. 

Ironically, the engine runs too cold now LOL. I'm waiting on an oil cooler thermostat to arrive at Vintage VeeDub so I can get that fitted and get the 500km oil change done at the same time. Takes too long to warm up fully for now, but tops out at 90 deg C at 100 km/hr up and down hills.   Cool  Doesn't even have a fan on the cooler; just air flow from driving. Perhaps I should have fitted the cooler a long time ago, but I just knew there was some underlying problem that I hadn't found.

Old engines with unknown history can certainly throw some curve balls Wink

At least we now know we weren't totally crazy Smile
A cooler would have only hidden the real issue given the strange readings previously.

Good to see a gain.
Now for more enjoyable tinkering .
Here are some pics on Harry's rust repair journey. Yes, he had a lot of rust in the roof from the windscreen back to the B-pillars but rust in the roof is common, especially for pop tops. However, there was literally no rust in the rest of the roof (you can see the rust free original frame behind the b-pillar in the 4th photo), which I find amazing! All the rust below the roof was cut out (not much frame left as you'll see in the photos) and new frames welded in. The roof is a complete brand new roof panel.

Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
Also, Harry's pop top has been restored too :-)

Chris and Sharyn
(17-02-2023, 07:42 AM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: Also, Harry's pop top has been restored too :-)
Woohoo Chris, looking good.  Smile
Elsie 1976 Sopru Camper
(17-02-2023, 07:54 AM)Elsie76 Wrote: Woohoo Chris, looking good.  Smile

I'm excited to get him back hopefully in a couple of weeks. I haven't done any body work or paint below the roof other than the two rust spots in the photos. But now I know he's really rust free I can tackle that down the track a bit and know I'm not wasting time/money. Prior to this I didn't quite know how bad the rust was going to be. 
I want to get the rims restored next so they're nice and shiny Cool .
Chris and Sharyn
Lookn’ great Chris……….nearly there  Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Credit too the panel beater - that was fast work for a difficult job
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(17-02-2023, 10:20 AM)Barry Wrote: Credit too the panel beater - that was fast work for a difficult job

I can't believe the progress he has made on the job. And without me pressuring him too! It's great when you find someone who knows their stuff and gets on with it.
Chris and Sharyn
(17-02-2023, 11:34 AM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: I can't believe the progress he has made on the job. And without me pressuring him too! It's great when you find someone who knows their stuff and gets on with it.

Wanna give the panel beater a plug so the rest of us know who we can trust to actually cut the rusted panels out and replace them rather than fill the holes with bog and a coat of paint over the top ...... My '74 really needs some body work and I just don't seem to have the time any more ...... so much for reaching retirement age  Rolleyes 

T1 Terry
Wow what a fantastic job.
1967 Blue Bus Panelvan, 1976 Molly Sopru Campmobile, 1977 BayMonty Ute