Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1600 engine questions
Hi all,
   back with a few more questions. As I said in another thread, I've recently bought my first kombi, a '72 lowlight, and today i decided to have a look at the engine. Backstory first, I bought the van off a mate. He'd had the engine fully reconditioned and had only done about 200 k's before the steering box gave out and it was parked up. It sat for about 7 years before I bought it. Anyway, the first problem I have is that the little carbon button in the dizzy cap is broken, so I'll need a new one, except the cap has no brand or markings whatsoever. The distributor says  Pertronix Flame-Thrower D 1866, so I was wondering who stocks caps for these? After a bit of bodging with the cap I got it running and it seemed to run well...except it blew a lot of oil smoke. I've seen worse but it's more than I can live with.  So then I tried to get a bit more info on what engine I had and discovered that it has no engine number whatsoever. I suppose my next question is how do I know what engine I've got? 
Anyway, sorry for the long ramble......she's been a bit of a headache today... any pointers would be appreciated
                                                                                                                                                   Mark.
(14-08-2022, 03:12 PM)Mark D Wrote: Hi all,
   back with a few more questions. As I said in another thread, I've recently bought my first kombi, a '72 lowlight, and today i decided to have a look at the engine. Backstory first, I bought the van off a mate. He'd had the engine fully reconditioned and had only done about 200 k's before the steering box gave out and it was parked up. It sat for about 7 years before I bought it. Anyway, the first problem I have is that the little carbon button in the dizzy cap is broken, so I'll need a new one, except the cap has no brand or markings whatsoever. The distributor says  Pertronix Flame-Thrower D 1866, so I was wondering who stocks caps for these? After a bit of bodging with the cap I got it running and it seemed to run well...except it blew a lot of oil smoke. I've seen worse but it's more than I can live with.  So then I tried to get a bit more info on what engine I had and discovered that it has no engine number whatsoever. I suppose my next question is how do I know what engine I've got? 
Anyway, sorry for the long ramble......she's been a bit of a headache today... any pointers would be appreciated
                                                                                                                                                   Mark.
My thoughts…. A few questions to answer…
Is the engine stock looking with single carb and heater style exhaust?
Is it single port? Wont be bigger than 1600. 
But if dual port could be 1600, 1776, 1835, 1916cc. You would need to measure bore size and stroke to really know. 
So no number stamped under the generator stand -below firing order?
Perhaps take a bunch of photos. Ive got a stripped (made in mexico) engine I can send pics to confirm if you want. 
Better experts than me could tell you more just by seeing photos.

(14-08-2022, 03:12 PM)Mark D Wrote: Hi all,
                                                                                                                                                   Mark.
72 originally has a type 1 motor that was a 1584cc or people call them a 1600. Most people change them out for a type4 motor and could be any size from 1700 to 2L. Posting a photo could help, with what type of engine you have ,with size won't really know unless you measure what you have got.
If you got a new case with no number most likely you have a type 1 case ,and that the case has been replaced at some stage and a engine number hasn't been added to the block. as mentioned by Matt the size could be larger then the 1600.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(14-08-2022, 05:52 PM)MeMatt Wrote: My thoughts…. A few questions to answer…
Is the engine stock looking with single carb and heater style exhaust?
Is it single port? Wont be bigger than 1600. 
But if dual port could be 1600, 1776, 1835, 1916cc. You would need to measure bore size and stroke to really know. 
So no number stamped under the generator stand -below firing order?
Perhaps take a bunch of photos. Ive got a stripped (made in mexico) engine I can send pics to confirm if you want. 
Better experts than me could tell you more just by seeing photos.

It's a twin port. Stock looking single barrel EMPI carb. Brazil stamped on the crankcase and no number at all under the generator stand (which could be a problem when I go to register it....)  I guess my confusion comes from my mate who has basically 0 mechanical knowledge saying when he bought the motor it was bigger than standard with a different cam. So I don't know if it's a bigger engine, or just oversized barrels and pistons or if it's been stroked....I suppose measuring the bore will be the only way to know if I have to rebuild it. One thing though. it does have 2 numbers stamped inside the engine compartment. One is chassis I imagine but not sure about the other.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(14-08-2022, 07:55 PM)Mark D Wrote: It's a twin port. Stock looking single barrel EMPI carb. Brazil stamped on the crankcase and no number at all under the generator stand (which could be a problem when I go to register it....)  I guess my confusion comes from my mate who has basically 0 mechanical knowledge saying when he bought the motor it was bigger than standard with a different cam. So I don't know if it's a bigger engine, or just oversized barrels and pistons or if it's been stroked....I suppose measuring the bore will be the only way to know if I have to rebuild it. One thing though. it does have 2 numbers stamped inside the engine compartment. One is chassis I imagine but not sure about the other.

That's the chassis number, which makes it a 72 and the second is the Australian manufacture number, You have a 72 deluxe microbus 418 one made in that year to date.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(14-08-2022, 08:01 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: That's the chassis number, which makes it a 72 and the second is the Australian manufacture number, You have a 72 deluxe microbus 418 one made in that year to date.

Thanks Wayne.  If it helps here's a photo of the engine

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)