Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you OK ?
I’m supporting someone that is in a very dark place….and has been for a while.
I think it’s important that we all regularly check in with our mates that may not seem their usual self.
Mental health is at last starting to lose its stigma and we can now talk about it openly.
Call a buddy, go for a coffee or a long walk and just be there for someone.
The worst thing is thinking that you are alone on the journey through the fire.
A caring ear is sometimes all a person needs. You do not have to be an expert.
The Black Dog follows us all at some stage……let’s help keep it in the distance.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Well said Mark.
Too many just bottle it up.
Sadly, we have seen the consequences of this again the other day in the sporting world.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Thanks Barry ...
The more openly we talk about this, the more people we realise are affected.
My own lived experience is from both sides of the fence.....
Cheers,
Mark

Thank you Mark for reminding us to check up on others. ♥️

I find a sign is if some goes quiet, you realise you haven’t seen or heard from them recently. Those regularly posting on social media stop posting, your neighbour hasn’t been outside lately, friends are missing from a regular coffee morning etc. 

I too have gone to ground a few times in recent years when things have gotten the better of me, it’s very hard to actually come out and admit this.

A simple message or phone call to ask RUOK or would you like to catch up can make all the difference ♥️
1967 Blue Bus Panelvan, 1976 Molly Sopru Campmobile, 1977 BayMonty Ute 
Knowing there are people in this KC community who care, is just another reason why it’s my happy place.  

Being in those dark places can be bloody scary and confusing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Vera - ‘75 Bay  
…..and I found that when I was in the hole, time stopped and the days just melted together….and became months…..and in turn, became years….
Very hard to realise just how much time is spent dwelling on “stuff” that needs to be resolved ……permanently if possible. 
For myself, years of trying to do it all myself did not work.
Cheers,
Mark

Onya Mark for bringing this up.

As some of you know we lost someone dear to us 12 mths ago, its been devastating but more so for his young mates.
We thought we had him through but not so.

How do you assist someone in a dark place, what do you do, how can you help?

Radio personality Gus Worland is very passionate about mental health & founder of Gotchya4life foundation, take a minute & check out the website.
Doesn't need to be awkward, just letting someone know you've got their back could make a difference.

https://www.gotcha4life.org

Tony

From my training as a Mental Health First Aid Officer
PR
Thanks for posting Mark. I wish you all the best in your support of your friend. And please don't forget to look after yourself and get support if needed. Or even if you don't feel like you need it, it's worth just talking to a professional so the issue doesn't build up unexpectedly in the background. Providing support can be a very big burden for one person too!

And yes, this is a massive issue in the community. I hope you don't mind if I add some links here. I don't want to take away from your friends issue, but as you'll see below and from the comments above we're all touched by this at times (or kicked in the guts as the case may be).

For those on the Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle (or anywhere if you like), here's a suicide prevention charity I'm heavily involved with that provides a lot of education:

Link to Iris Foundation

And there's also this, which is a project of the Iris Foundation which was established for our dear friend, Debbie Gaunt, whose beautiful soul left us far too soon:

Debbie Gaunt foundation

Argh! Here I am tearing up again. Miss you Deb <3

Also, my wife Sharyn is the brain child of this Iris Foundation project which supports domestic violence victims, prison release, homeless, disadvantaged, etc in building confidence, resilience, connections and assisting re-entry to workforce, court appearances and the like. The idea is hopefully early intervention when people are at perhaps the lowest points of their life to keep that black dog away. There is no current government funding for this; all the money comes from a lot of hard work. Sharyn would love your support too:

Because We Care Boutique
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
(22-08-2022, 12:25 PM)KIWI Wrote: From my training as a Mental Health First Aid Officer
PR

I’ve done the same course a couple of times over the years.
I never thought I could remember the ALGEE acronym…….but I did.
Mental Health First Aid and MHFA for young adults.
Well worthwhile if people want to be better equipped to assist struggling folks….

(22-08-2022, 11:53 AM)Whitie Wrote: Onya Mark for bringing this up.

As some of you know we lost someone dear to us 12 mths ago, its been devastating but more so for his young mates.
We thought we had him through but not so.

How do you assist someone in a dark place, what do you do, how can you help?

Radio personality Gus Worland is very passionate about mental health & founder of Gotchya4life foundation, take a minute & check out the website.
Doesn't need to be awkward, just letting someone know you've got their back could make a difference.

https://www.gotcha4life.org

Tony

Hey Tony, hope your days are getting better…….you have been through Hell and back.

(22-08-2022, 01:50 PM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: Thanks for posting Mark. I wish you all the best in your support of your friend. And please don't forget to look after yourself and get support if needed. Or even if you don't feel like you need it, it's worth just talking to a professional so the issue doesn't build up unexpectedly in the background. Providing support can be a very big burden for one person too!

And yes, this is a massive issue in the community. I hope you don't mind if I add some links here. I don't want to take away from your friends issue, but as you'll see below and from the comments above we're all touched by this at times (or kicked in the guts as the case may be).

For those on the Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle (or anywhere if you like), here's a suicide prevention charity I'm heavily involved with that provides a lot of education:

Link to Iris Foundation

And there's also this, which is a project of the Iris Foundation which was established for our dear friend, Debbie Gaunt, whose beautiful soul left us far too soon:

Debbie Gaunt foundation

Argh! Here I am tearing up again. Miss you Deb <3

Also, my wife Sharyn is the brain child of this Iris Foundation project which supports domestic violence victims, prison release, homeless, disadvantaged, etc in building confidence, resilience, connections and assisting re-entry to workforce, court appearances and the like. The idea is hopefully early intervention when people are at perhaps the lowest points of their life to keep that black dog away. There is no current government funding for this; all the money comes from a lot of hard work. Sharyn would love your support too:

Because We Care Boutique

Many thanks for chiming in Chris…..every and any bit of support information is worth knowing about.
I’m fine, now…..thanks for asking mate  Cool After I hit rock bottom I accepted that I needed unbiased, professional help. Just making that step to accept that I had lost control was a massive thing for me to deal with…..and I’m sure others will relate. The more we talk about this, the more aware we become that many people  around us are also affected……
A huge thank you to Sharyn and yourself for unselfishly giving your time to help others in troubled times.
Cheers,
Mark