Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1641 Strip down today
Stripped my engine right down today.... 
When I put in on my engine stand, first time I rotated it all I could hear was metal pieces bouncing around inside. 
Found nearly every mating face had red silicon sealant on it, even around the main bolt Orings.
Also found a few issues that may make the case unusable -both halves had larger than 5mm deep marks and #2 barrel opening is damaged where barrel seats.
Spun main bearing at pulley end, and rod bearing on #2. The bearing journal on crank is messy and the case bearing seat is destroyed.
All I see is large dollars now.

[attachment=1193]
[attachment=1194]
[attachment=1195]

(13-08-2022, 03:49 PM)MeMatt Wrote: Stripped my engine right down today.... 
When I put in on my engine stand, first time I rotated it all I could hear was metal pieces bouncing around inside. 
Found nearly every mating face had red silicon sealant on it, even around the main bolt Orings.
Also found a few issues that may make the case unusable -both halves had larger than 5mm deep marks and #2 barrel opening is damaged where barrel seats.
Spun main bearing at pulley end, and rod bearing on #2. The bearing journal on crank is messy and the case bearing seat is destroyed.
All I see is large dollars now.

Oh MY  Angry . I feel for you. Better start a GO Fund Me page.
Better days ahead.
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
All I see is scrap metal for art works…. Tongue
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Sorry to see that Matt it’s looking nasty, best of luck with it all, cheers Greg
Sid our 66 Splitty Project
Possum our 76 Sopru Traveller
TLC our 1990 Single Cab, my daily
Goanna our 08 4 motion Dual Cab Chassis, Katherines Daily
You could check the crank and see what size the crank measures at and you could get it machined down. It depends on what size it is know.
Wrong bearing could of been used. If you can measure what the case and crank is at. You need new rods, or one if you can get one with in the same spec (weight) as the other three. new case required.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
ouch...................... Confused
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
So, paid a deposit on the following:
New case, 69mm c/weight crank, 94mm top end, engle 100 cam, big port heads, bigger oil pump and maybe a remote cooler, 1.25 rockers and 40mm dual EMPI’s carb set up. 
Gives me 1916cc, Should make for a bit more drivability and I think the bus will cruise much better.

Still a few weeks away and I have to freshen up a few other bits n pieces too. 

Hopefully back on the road for October long weekend. 
Big Grin