Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Express to Valla - July 2022
Looks like you found a long lost relative of the SE  Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
We woke to the mass exodus of suburbia at 5:30 as the next lot of shift workers left for mines. However, the view at sunrise was worth it. 

I should point out here, as to look down on the roof of the Sunburnt Express, why we call the bus this name. [All our vehicles have names but kombis, in general, all seem to have names]. Sunburnt - because the paint had been burnt off in the scorching heat of western NSW where it had sat for 15 years prior to us getting it. And Express - because it’s a bus and also because kombis are not “the fastest car on the track”.

Anyway back to the story.
After a more subdued start to the day, and finding a sunny spot for breakfast, we had an inspection of Deans nephew and partners reno’s and hit the road.

We pulled into Taree for lunch and got lost trying to find the main area and ended up parked outside The Red Shop. It looked like an old corner shop and after talking to a bloke in shorts and cut-off hi-vis shirt with tats and mullet (and a lovely fella) we found out it’s been a take away since he was a boy. Always painted red and the best take-a-way in Taree. While waiting for our hamburgers, snittty wrap and spring roll, Tess worked or how to use a pay phone by calling Dad 2m away, lol. Things kids don’t know these days and it’s FREE! We would have killed for this at boarding school (however I must admit Mum was one of the last telephonists in Australia so I did get most of my calls for free). Yes I’m getting off story again.

Hayley (Quombi)
Sunburnt Express - it’s only original once
No we are not restoring it, we are preserving it and driving it!
(30-07-2022, 07:53 PM)Quombi Wrote: Leaving day has come and we are definitely not ready. Trailer brakes need adjusting and the sleet and driving driving wind have the temperature on wind chill of -5!! I left Dno to the trailer as I needed to do a last minute run to town for supplies. By the time I got home he wasn’t able to hold the coffee I made him because he was shaking with cold. 

Brakes were done apart from reconnecting the wire to the front connector, which I had to help with as Dno couldn’t coordinate his frozen, shaking fingers!! That completed and Dno thawed out I found out that to adjust the brakes he either had to
A - lay in the mud with a tarp over him to stop the waterfall that was cascading off the trailer or
B - lay on the tarp with the water pooling around his ears and soaking into his clothes while water run down his arms or
C - Roll himself, burrito style, in the tarp and just get the job done.

Next to start the bus and get her on the trailer. The carbi was a bit rough on starting but idled well and it was just line it up and get it on the trailer - oh did I mention this was backwards! Not a job for me! I just did the guiding and thumbs up once the job was done (and breath again as I must have been holding my breath). Note there is no photos of this as it took all of my concentration!!! Thankfully there was also a break in the weather which allowed us to do this without sleet. Then it was just finally back and forward on the trailer, which I could manage, while Dno found the sweet spot on the trailer for the long haul ahead.

Final tie down and pack and we were ready for our family photo before pulling out. One member was definitely missing but we put on our latest sticker (shout out to Gilmore Valley Grove) and at least we had a token dog with us on the journey. The old purple dog lead also was left in for the ride.
Really enjoying this Hayley and thanks for the plug! Having our business advertised on a bus that draws so much attention can only be good for us! 
Your dog lead comment brought me unstuck.  Sad
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
The afternoon was ticking along all too quick as we pulled into our mates near Wauchope after 3. We were off the trailer, unpacked and repacked, bus checked, toiletted, pet rabbit patted and the serenity of this beautiful old farm taken in within the hour. 

We pulled over and tweaked the timing a few times till we found a happy spot and set our goal for Valla. Dno took the driving transfer in his stride, from the heavy pull of the trailer, to upright driving of the Express. However it’s still unnerving driving into the dark in an unfamiliar area on a busy freeway. We pulled in at camp at 6:30.

After finding our friends, and camping spot, the tent was up and fairy lights installed and time for a relax. We made it to VW Spectacular 2022!

Hayley (Quombi)
Up to sunshine and much warmer temperatures. Tess was already in shorts and t-shirt and a trendy new jacket from her cousin. We joined onto a small cruise into Macksville. Tess took shotgun and I enjoyed the sun with the ragtop open. The cruise dissolved when the group got caught up in lights and back streets. We grabbed morning tea and found a couple of antique shops to snoop in. Dno had to go find some cash so Tess and I had a kombi history lesson and she is now ready for all the normal questions. Year, motor, name, amount of windows etc etc. While Dad was impressed with daughters knew learnt knowledge he was disappointed she couldn’t tell him when they stopped using semaphores. ?

We called down to the beach for the typical kombi beach cool photos and then spent some quality time with friends. One of the reasons for our trip was to meet this munchkin and catch up with her lovely mum and dad. ? distance between Gold Coast and Millthorpe is just too far and also COVID hasn’t helped! A year old already Miss Kallie.

Hayley (Quombi)
Express to Valla - post 10

Saturday is cruise and park up in the street of Nambucca Heads so Dno was up and had the bus in the line up early to ensure our spot.

Oh boy what a morning. ?
They were breaking up the convoy so after we stalled, then got moving since finding first gear was a bit vague, we had lost our group. The lady had told us to take the 2nd exit, so we took the wrong turn and ended up on the highway. We came around again but still didn’t take the right entry into Nambucca. We pulled over on a big wide straight and cut a quick u turn just as a copper came over the crest. So yep, he lit up the candies and gave us the “any reason for your crossing of the double lines….”. Dno put on his most friendly, country hic voice and thankful he came good and waved us on. I wasn’t game enough to take a decent photo of the ’event’ and only managed to get the ‘long arm of the law’ ?.

He then followed us into town so we were super conscious of our road rules and smoking gear changes ahhhhh. We caught the convoy on the last hill amongst a blue haze of exhaust and clutch smoke. Senior constable Darrin (because Dno is now on first name basis!) pulled over to explain hill starts to a stopped and stalled kombi. Needless to say Dno and I went our separate ways for 30 mins till he forgot that I had sent him the wrong way??. Won’t live that one down! Still, we made the mass parkup in Nambucca Main Street in a good spot, phew!

Drop us a comment if your reading along. Always good to know you are out there.

Hayley (Quombi)
Nice update !
Typical, isn’t it……the ONE time ya chuck a u-ie across the lines, the Police are watching !  Tongue
Enjoy the Valla experience….. Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Yep! Had to be that day. Funny now but wasn’t at the time. 
You will be glad to know we got some lube today for the front clutch cable Mark. However it did let go as we were backing it off the shed at home after Dubbo. I climbed under and out it back on the right way and after a check today all looks ok. No doubt it will bide it’s time to do it again when we at least expecting it!

Hayley (Quombi)
No drug or alcohol test from the boys in blue?

Freakin hippies in a VW microbus, would usually attract some unwanted attention!  Tongue

Thanks for the updates, and sharing the awesome pics Hayley!  Smile

Enjoy the ride……..  Wink
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Loving your blog as always Hayley. Always feels like we're there with yours & Dno's efforts (& Tessa's help!) & struggles to get to a VW event. Just so nice to catch up with the VW community Rolleyes .

Keep it coming!
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren