Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil leak and possible signs of trouble?
Hey everyone!

So we have had a pretty bad opil leak for a while now, like about 500ml per about four hours of driving. No blue smoke, no oil patches under when parked. I drove it to warm it up, then parked and looked but no signs of leak. Ran about 2000rpm for a minute then came off the gas and again, no leaks. It's a 1600 engine and looks like it Brazilian (or at least has lots of parts from there).

I looked around underneath and there are definite signs of oil leaking. No spray on the bumber or rear of engine, but it looks like there is leakage from the drain coming from the oil filler cap (not sure what it's called). I pulled out the two rear plugs and one on the right-hand side looks like signs of oil on the plug? Really doesn't look good I don't think. The other one looks less blackened, but I haven't checked the forward two plugs yet. I am going to replace the air filter as well, as it looks dirty. 

I am very new to kombis, so any help is really appreciated here.

First plug looks fine. 

2nd plug……. Oh dear  Dodgy

Guessing rings are gone. 
Are you blowing smoke??

Forth pic - is that plugged?
Guessing that is the breather pipe that should connect to that stub near the oil filler

Sorry - didn’t look at the last pic. 

Yes - it’s your breather. 
You are better leaving it off. 

Shouldn’t be plugged. 

Not saying that will give your fouled plug but could fix the oil spray everywhere 

That motor needs to relieve pressure and plugging it won’t help
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(27-07-2022, 07:01 PM)Barry Wrote: First plug looks fine. 

2nd plug……. Oh dear  Dodgy

Guessing rings are gone. 
Are you blowing smoke??

Forth pic - is that plugged?
Guessing that is the breather pipe that should connect to that stub near the oil filler

Sorry - didn’t look at the last pic. 

Yes - it’s your breather. 
You are better leaving it off. 

Shouldn’t be plugged. 

Not saying that will give your fouled plug but could fix the oil spray everywhere 

That motor needs to relieve pressure and plugging it won’t help

Hey mate! Thanks for taking the time to reply; I really appreciate it.

I did think the plug on the top of the vent (breather) looked like a homemade job, not factory. Is that meant to be open? I guess I just don't understand the system. So there is an open breather and a drain from the oil filler? I am pretty sure that when I'm driving that oil is leaking out of the drain. I assume that the drain won't reieve pressure? It's open as well.

No, no blue smoke at all and the exhaust doesn't stink of oil. Weird, eh?
You have a single carby with no preheat pipes and that breather originally went onto the oil bath air filter that normally be sitting on the far right hand side. The plug looks like it's fowled up, is it running rich?  You may need to give the car a good basic service and set your self a base line. You may have to get a compression test done and see how the rings are sealing or not.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !