Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
‘63 11 window
Seems I forgot to post some pics of the doors after the body work and into high build. Unfortunately I’m going to run out of good weather to get the front doors and cargo doors painted. But plenty to do on the body over the cooler months.

[Image: 2495842.jpg]
[Image: 2495843.jpg]
[Image: 2495845.jpg]
[Image: 2495844.jpg]
Rear hatch and engine lid going to get finished while the weather is on my side but the rest will have to wait. I’ve got plenty of bits and pieces to paint while the sun is out so I can start some assembly over the cooler months.

Engine lid done and ready for colour sanding. Rear hatch ready for the Pearl white…

[Image: 2495849.jpg]
[Image: 2495848.jpg]
[Image: 2495847.jpg]
[Image: 2495846.jpg]
Got the pearl white sprayed on the body. Pretty happy, can’t wait to see it colour sanded and buffed

[Image: 2497079.jpg]
[Image: 2497078.jpg]
[Image: 2497077.jpg]
[Image: 2497076.jpg]
Looking awesome!

What brand and paint system are you using?  Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(19-04-2024, 06:47 PM)Grantus Wrote: Looking awesome!

What brand and paint system are you using?  Rolleyes

Thank you, I have used valspar acrylic, a lot of people will be against using acrylic but I don’t have access to a spray booth to spray 2k.
WOW……
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
There are many positives to using acrylic…..as you no doubt know.
1. Quick flashoff time for recoat 
2. Quick drying time
3. Much easier to sand/cut/polish
4. Get a run? Easy to sand out and recoat in no time at all
5. Cheaper components
6. Not as toxic as 2k systems……..still not good for you but not as bad as epoxies
etc. etc.
Love your work  Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(19-04-2024, 07:01 PM)Mid West Dubber Wrote: Thank you, I have used valspar acrylic, a lot of people will be against using acrylic but I don’t have access to a spray booth to spray 2k.

That bus at the factory would probably have been done in a solid colour enamel process. Paint has evolved and improved since then.

I argued the longevity of my 35 year old VW original solid system with the pro spray painter recoating my bus.

As evidence, I pointed out sections, and the ease to compound and buff the original paint. 

He did convince me, after he pointed out that 35 years ago, they were allowed to use lead, isocynates & other “goodies” in abundance, to create those awesome finishes, but the new 2K solid colour “friendly” products, are not the same, and that a “clear over base” system, would give better protection under the Oz sun.

Not wanting to tell a professional how to “suck eggs”, I agreed and went with his COB work on the bus, which to date, I am very happy with.

The home done SC has a 2K Baslac solid colour finish…..

It is all just paint, and as the prep to the base is excellent, like you have done, it’s easy to refinish down the track, if needed.
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Rear hatch now has the Pearl white done as well.

That will be it for the doors until later in the year, as I’ve got to get some other bits painted so that I can start some assembly over the next few months.

[Image: 2497989.jpg]
[Image: 2497988.jpg]