Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type IV Fuel Line & Filter Replacement
Courtesy Komodius :

Hi folks.
here's a wee tip when changing the fuel filter and/or the fuel lines on a type IV kombi engine.
Frank and I changed the fuel line (tank to fuel pump) and fuel filter on my bus today.
If you look at the pic you can see the fuel line from the tank going to the filter and beyond to the fuel pump.
You can see how close the starter and solenoid are to the fuel outlet from the tank.
When you remove the fuel line from the tank, fuel will flow directly toward the solenoid until you can push the new line on.

Guess what can happen if your battery is still connected!!! 
Yep, very bad burny things.

Order of business:

1) Disconnect earth wire from battery !
2) remove fuel line from fuel filter on the tank side and plug the line with a pencil or similar object
3) if you're only replacing the filter, put the "out" end of the new filter onto the line to the pump (check arrow on filter for fuel flow direction) and quickly pull the pencil out of the tank line and push the line onto the new filter "in" side
4) if you're replacing the complete line, disconnect fuel line from fuel pump
5) crawl out from under the bus and assemble new lines and filter using the old line as a template
6) back under the bus attach the fuel pump end of the line to the fuel pump
7) with a clamp ready but loose on the new line to go to the tank, ease the old line off the tank outlet tube and block it with your finger (left hand). With your right hand use the new tube to push the finger on the outlet pipe out of the way and onto the pipe.

You should have minimal fuel spillage but make sure that the new pieces of line that have to slide over fuel pump and tank pipes are well lubricated and "pre-stretched". I used a Philips head screwdriver to stretch the line to make it easier to fit.
A bit of spilt petrol on the skin can be unpleasant, a bit of burning spilt petrol on the skin, and in the fuel tank, can be very unpleasant!
PLEASE disconnect your battery first.

Ray & da Boyz

….and don’t forget to place the clips on the hose before you reconnect.
Trying to remove correctly sized hose can be a biatch!
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
A hint to add to your good article Mark. It can be a lot easier if you fit a short length of hose from the tank to a tap, and then to the filter. You can then turn off the tap and replace everything down line easily. Occasionally you will have to change the short piece, but you can plan to have the tank close to empty.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
…….and exactly what I have done in this thread Adrian…. Big Grin

https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=45

Your response was to Ray’s original post that I’ve brought across from the old site…..
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(24-05-2023, 06:44 AM)Oldman Wrote: …….and exactly what I have done in this thread Adrian…. Big Grin

https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=45

Your response was to Ray’s original post that I’ve brought across from the old site…..

No worries,

I thought I remembered discussing it with you years ago.

Cheers

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)