Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing with an auto 74?
I am a new Kombi owner - '74, 1800 , automatic, reconditioned motor.
I was reading the official Volkswagen Owners Manual Type 2 1973 which states that Kombis with an automatic transmission cannot tow anything.
I understand it is due to the lack of trans oil cooler.
This was disappointing information as I was hoping to tow a small trailer - a type that you could tow behind a motor bike.
Short of replacing the motor with a Subaru, is there any solution someone could advise?
Thank you in advance.
Cindy
I would think something of that small weight, IF the rest of the vehicle was not heavily loaded, would be fine. It is the transmission cooling that is the problem as you have heard. I don't know if a cooler can be fitted to them.

Just bear in mind Kombis in general are limited to 600 kg towing capacity for other reasons so adding a Subaru isnt necessarily going to increase the towing capacity from an engineering and legality point of view. 

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(05-01-2023, 07:48 AM)Mordred Wrote: I would think something of that small weight, IF the rest of the vehicle was not heavily loaded, would be fine. It is the transmission cooling that is the problem as you have heard. I don't know if a cooler can be fitted to them.

Just bear in mind Kombis in general are limited to 600 kg towing capacity for other reasons so adding a Subaru isnt necessarily going to increase the towing capacity from an engineering and legality point of view. 

Adrian
Is the 2L auto any better / different?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Yes, they are rated for 600 kg towing with an auto according to a 77 manual I have.  They are a later gearbox that I think came from a Golf so might be a better design.  

I have just been looking at a copy of the 75 manual and that would be the 1800 engine (2 litre and later auto came out in 1976) and the older auto trans and it states 600 kg for an auto transmission.  Seems to depend on which source you use.  I am fairly certain the autos only came out in Australia with a Type IV engine even though the manual trans had the option of a 1600 Type 1 engine (cheaper). Regardless I would take it easy especially on a hot day.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
The 1800 have the 003 transmission which is a beefed up version of the trans from the Type 3s. They can't be modified for a cooling circuit but the 2L auto (010) trans can be. Or try a T3 water cooled auto (090) which has a cooling circuit, keeping an auto cool is the biggest battle. T3 autos come air cooled as well but would need a cooling circuirt mod.
(05-01-2023, 09:02 AM)Mordred Wrote: Yes, they are rated for 600 kg towing with an auto according to a 77 manual I have.  They are a later gearbox that I think came from a Golf so might be a better design.  

I have just been looking at a copy of the 75 manual and that would be the 1800 engine (2 litre and later auto came out in 1976) and the older auto trans and it states 600 kg for an auto transmission.  Seems to depend on which source you use.  I am fairly certain the autos only came out in Australia with a Type IV engine even though the manual trans had the option of a 1600 Type 1 engine (cheaper). Regardless I would take it easy especially on a hot day.

Adrian
I've just looked at a '74 Australian owner's manual. It says 1000kg with brakes and 600kg without. It does not mention 1600 or 1800, manual or automatic. As this is a genuine VW supplied manual I would tend to believe it.

These owner's manuals are much better than manuals with modern cars. They tell you how to change the oils and service the cars. Modern manuals tell you not to drink the contents of the battery. How stupid are we evolving.
(07-01-2023, 10:39 AM)syncro Wrote: I've just looked at a '74 Australian owner's manual. It says 1000kg with brakes and 600kg without. It does not mention 1600 or 1800, manual or automatic. As this is a genuine VW supplied manual I would tend to believe it.

These owner's manuals are much better than manuals with modern cars. They tell you how to change the oils and service the cars. Modern manuals tell you not to drink the contents of the battery. How stupid are we evolving.

Personally, I would not tow with the automatic without adding an oil cooler. Even with oil cooler, I'm not sure it's a good option.

I recently had my auto rebuilt in my '76 at Dantrans Automotive down at Bankstown. Danny was very knowledgeable on these transmissions and I was super impressed with his attitude. He also said he's been modifying these transmissions for many years even beefing them up for racing purposes! I wish I had asked more questions about that because I can't for the life of me imagine what you'd use a 70's vintage VW automatic transmission in for racing.

Anyway, I suggest you give him a ring and ask what's possible with your auto; I'm sure he'll be able to give you good, practical advice on it.

Dantrans Automotive Link
Chris and Sharyn
1976 Campmobile Adventurer Deluxe 2L Automatic in Riverina Orange named Harry
1971 Kombi 8 Seat Manual in Flipper Blue named Layla
(07-01-2023, 12:39 PM)Mr Beckstar Wrote: Personally, I would not tow with the automatic without adding an oil cooler. Even with oil cooler, I'm not sure it's a good option.

What is the difference between towing 600kg and having a 600kg load in the van?

A friend of mine rallied a very quick Beetle (2180) with semi auto boxes from 1968. I don't think he ever had a problem.
I know on the T3 the auto was stronger than the manual.

My T3 syncro was rated to tow 2,000kg. Now that would be a slow trip.
(08-01-2023, 02:43 PM)syncro Wrote: What is the difference between towing 600kg and having a 600kg load in the van?
The physics due to load location, however you have now opened the dreaded GVM can of worms.  Wink

To quote carsguide.com.au.
Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)
"This is the maximum your vehicle can weigh when fully loaded as specified by the manufacturer. You will usually find this GVM figure on the vehicle's weight placard (generally found in the driver's door opening) or in the owner's manual. So GVM is the Kerb Mass plus all accessories (bull bars, roof racks, winches etc) and payload (see below). And if you're towing something, GVM includes the Tow Ball Download."

PR