Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin carby cold start -Tips??
Im after a few tips…
Old set up (1641 & Pict 3/4) saw me use choke to get bus going. Sat for 5 mins to get it warm. 
Now with 1916, twin Kadron 40mm single barrel copies, 100 cam and bigger heads, there is usually 3 attempts to get it started. 
It fires each time but not well enough to idle. 
Then I sit there feathering the throttle to get it warm. 

Ive even thought about running a chock cable to give it a higher idle. 

Any tips out there??

Have you seen this?

http://www.kaddieshack.com/tuning-instructions.html

and 

http://www.lowbugget.com/adjust_mixture.html

Do the Kadron copies have the balance line?

LOTS of reading on tuning them
https://www.google.com/search?q=tuning+V...e&ie=UTF-8
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Yeah Ive seen and read kaddieshack stuff. Good youtube channel too. 
I have no real issue with starting it, just wondered if there were other techniques people were using. 
No balance tube for me. Have read about some that do and some dont. 

No idea but bus runs, drives well, cruises great and best of all….. no oil leaks.

Matt, 
I have never run Kadrons. 
I have run twin dual barrels and never need a choke. 
One pump and purrs. 
I have never known a set of EMPI’s to run without a balance line. 
Kadrons have a balance line

I am impressed you have built your motor. 
It has been a long time since some one said “I have built and motor and …..”

What jets are you running compared to what AJ Simms suggests?

Go to AVD and search there. 
20 years ago every 2nd post was “what jets should I run with…..”

Get it dyno’d. 
My guess is you jetting is to rich. 
What are your plug colours?

Please don’t tell me you are running a cheap 009. 

If you are sticking with the carbs - seriously think about getting the balance line added.
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Been a long time since I ever had Kadron carburettors on. My sisters beetle still runs Kadrons, they work really well and they have been on their for 32 years. The original solex kadrons had a balance tube and their was a connection already made on the manifolds for this.  
You may have to mix it up a little to find what is best in starting your car with those carby on, as mentioned one pump and it should start and you may have to still feather it as you have no chokes, or you can try two pumps and start it. I don't think you'll get away without feather it to keep it slight faster idle in the warming up process.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Thanks for your thoughts guys. 
Im still not convinced I need a balance tube. Seems like its more needed when running dual barrels, not really on Single barrels. 
I have no idea on jets, they are straight out of the box. 
I have them setup pretty good, butterfly’s closed, linkages set up, mixtures etc. plugs look pretty good. Consistent colour. Greyish. Im curious on engine temp tho. Seems quite hot. Pretty hot to touch main tinware in front of pulley. 
It has a very slight cough just off throttle when cold. Warmed up, runs well.
Yes, Im using a rebuilt 009. Runs 32-33 degrees at 3100rpm. Max advance. About 11degrees at idle. 

I have learnt ALOT since owning the VW. Its a great learning tool. It tests my patience at times but thats cause its my daily driver. Thankfully Im a mechanically minded person (Fitter and Machinist for over 32yrs)

Im thinking about buying a beetle in the next 12mths…. Loving the simplicity…

you'll probably get smoother acceleration with a carby that also has vacuum advance
Are those carbs. the RP Cadence units ?
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(07-12-2022, 06:54 PM)Oldman Wrote: Are those carbs. the RP Cadence units ?

They are EPMI 40K delux. Kadron copy.

(07-12-2022, 04:54 PM)MeMatt Wrote: Thanks for your thoughts guys. 
Im still not convinced I need a balance tube. Seems like its more needed when running dual barrels, not really on Single barrels. 
I have no idea on jets, they are straight out of the box. 
I have them setup pretty good, butterfly’s closed, linkages set up, mixtures etc. plugs look pretty good. Consistent colour. Greyish. Im curious on engine temp tho. Seems quite hot. Pretty hot to touch main tinware in front of pulley. 
It has a very slight cough just off throttle when cold. Warmed up, runs well.
Yes, Im using a rebuilt 009. Runs 32-33 degrees at 3100rpm. Max advance. About 11degrees at idle. 

I have learnt ALOT since owning the VW. Its a great learning tool. It tests my patience at times but thats cause its my daily driver. Thankfully Im a mechanically minded person (Fitter and Machinist for over 32yrs)

Im thinking about buying a beetle in the next 12mths…. Loving the simplicity…
You may have your dual carb balance tube mixed up. On my other kombi motors I run Dellortos which are duel barrel carburettors and they do not have a balance tube. As each barrel is operating one cylinder and that you can synchronised each barrel. As on a single barrel you have one barrel operating two cylinders and need to balance it out between the four cylinders. Even on a type 4 motor in a kombi Solex 34PDSIT-2 3 they are single barrel and also have a balancing tube.
I'm not saying or trying to convince you, that you need one. stating that duel carbs don't have a balance tube and singles do for a reason. Your carburettors may run fine without it and if your happy the way it runs, leave it and see how it goes. Haven't seen a set of Kadron copies so not sure if there is any difference with an original set. I take it your manifolds came with your carburettors and don't have any holes for a balance tube built into them?
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !