Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cheap, Easy Fuel line tap
Quote:I've finally sourced a good quality, in-line fuel tap & thought I'd post KC to show the results.
It always worried me that I couldn't shut off the fuel supply whenever I wanted to changed a filter or work on the engine. With a full-ish tank of fuel, there's quite a head of pressure in the fuel lines & whenever I disconnected a fuel line, I inevitably had fuel running everywhere. I've not wanted to crush the fuel line with vise grips, for fear of damaging the line permanently & driving something up the bore might put rubbish in the line.......so, after a lot of searching, I found this solution. It's cheap, easy & quick to install. It took about 20 minutes start to finish once I had my tools sorted out & a plan of attack in mind.

[Image: P1010255.jpg~original]  
This is the fuel tap - cost -$ 22.00.

[Image: P1010259.jpg~original] 

These are the tools I used: 2 x small hose clamps,1 x blade screwdriver,(to suit clamps),1 x "quick-clamp",1 x pair of good quality side-cutters.
First, I disconnected the battery - just in case.... Then I clamped of the fuel line about 2-3 inches from the fuel tank using the "quick-clamp".I used this type of clamp as they have a large surface area for clamping pressure so less likely to damage the fuel line:

[Image: P1010260.jpg~original] 

Then, using the side-cutters-(& holding my breath that the quick-clamp worked)-cut the fuel line.

[Image: P1010261.jpg~original] 

Happy days ! No leaks once the fuel tap was put in place & the quick-clamp released:

[Image: P1010263.jpg~original] 

Next, I placed the hose clamp over the engine side fuel line, pushed the other side of the fuel tap in place, tightened everything up & checked for leaks.

[Image: P1010265.jpg~original] 

Once I was sure everything was sealed up OK, I backed the hose clamps off a little & rotated the fuel tap so that the lever was upper-most.

[Image: P1010268.jpg~original] 

Now with the fuel shut off, I positioned an in-line fuel filter out of the engine bay & away from any control cables & heater tubes. Once connected, I turned on the fuel & checked for leaks....again - there weren't any.

[Image: P1010269.jpg~original] 

Just a couple of tips: If you use this type of fuel tap, you'll find it really hard to remove once it's in place.The "barbs" on each side really hang on, so measure twice, cut once. I snipped off about 2-3 inches of fuel line to accommodate the fuel tap body length - this allows for a "natural" curve, below the fuel tank. I did the same to allow for the in-line filter. If you don't allow for the tap body/fuel filter, you'll end up with excess fuel line hanging on control cables, heater tubes,gearbox etc. With regular driving, the friction could cause a breech in the fuel line. (But at least you could turn the fuel off now!)

Now where to get these fuel taps. Go on-line & search for " Gaspares.com.au " This company is a wholesale supplier to the lawnmower maintenance industry. Once you find their website,click on your state & you'll get a toll free number to ring.When you ring that number the person will ask you for your postcode -they will then advise you of the nearest outlet that they supply.
Contact the outlet & tell them you want a:

PTC 6291 Universal, metal in-line petrol tap with 1/4 inch barbs.

Their barcode for the tap is : 9 316596038381

They should only cost $ 22.00 or so, depending on the dealer. When I spoke to Gaspares they told me that they do not supply the general public & wouldn't sell direct, hence the postcode requirement.

If you're in NSW : Gaspares 'phone number is 1300 363005

Anyway, if I've helped at least one other KC member with this post - it's all been worthwhile.

stuck
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
(02-07-2022, 04:38 PM)Oldman Wrote: Happy days ! No leaks once the fuel tap was put in place & the quick-clamp released:

[Image: P1010263.jpg~original] 

Next, I placed the hose clamp over the engine side fuel line, pushed the other side of the fuel tap in place, tightened everything up & checked for leaks.

[Image: P1010265.jpg~original] 

Once I was sure everything was sealed up OK, I backed the hose clamps off a little & rotated the fuel tap so that the lever was upper-most.

[Image: P1010268.jpg~original] 

Now with the fuel shut off, I positioned an in-line fuel filter out of the engine bay & away from any control cables & heater tubes. Once connected, I turned on the fuel & checked for leaks....again - there weren't any.

[Image: P1010269.jpg~original] 

Just a couple of tips: If you use this type of fuel tap, you'll find it really hard to remove once it's in place.The "barbs" on each side really hang on, so measure twice, cut once. I snipped off about 2-3 inches of fuel line to accommodate the fuel tap body length - this allows for a "natural" curve, below the fuel tank. I did the same to allow for the in-line filter. If you don't allow for the tap body/fuel filter, you'll end up with excess fuel line hanging on control cables, heater tubes,gearbox etc. With regular driving, the friction could cause a breech in the fuel line. (But at least you could turn the fuel off now!)

Now where to get these fuel taps. Go on-line & search for " Gaspares.com.au " This company is a wholesale supplier to the lawnmower maintenance industry. Once you find their website,click on your state & you'll get a toll free number to ring.When you ring that number the person will ask you for your postcode -they will then advise you of the nearest outlet that they supply.
Contact the outlet & tell them you want a:

PTC 6291 Universal, metal in-line petrol tap with 1/4 inch barbs.

Their barcode for the tap is : 9 316596038381

They should only cost $ 22.00 or so, depending on the dealer. When I spoke to Gaspares they told me that they do not supply the general public & wouldn't sell direct, hence the postcode requirement.

If you're in NSW : Gaspares 'phone number is 1300 363005

Anyway, if I've helped at least one other KC member with this post - it's all been worthwhile.

stuck

Great post  good idea, could stop a thief getting to far away as well.
79 Bay camper
66 Beetle
65 Split project