Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Dipstick Reading
Checking the oil level before heading off to Old Bar, and as it’s midway between the 5k service, it looked like it was just on the lower notch of the dipstick……on one side.

The other side of the dipstick showed half way between the notches.  Confused

For 35 years, I’ve had this conundrum, to ever get an actual reading from the dipstick, of the real oil level…….

Was done cold, on level ground, but still a bit of a mystery. Comforting fact, is that even a reading at the bottom notch means there is still 4 litres of oil within, so it’s safe to drive, but it’s the last half a litre maybe required, without overfilling to keep that motor happy, that’s always a bit of an unknown.

Just waking the bus up, after 3 months of sitting, and again, expect it to perform reliably at around 4,000 rpm, for over 7 hours constantly on Friday.

How do you all accurately assess the oil level in your T3?
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Every vehicle I’ve ever owned always had trouble with dipstick reading. I’m sure I put extra many times. I don’t look at it anymore, that’s the job for the boys when do service. Hot or cold never got a proper reading. I’m sure you’ve got it covered Grant. Enjoy the cruise and the weekend mate. Big Grin
Cheers Brian and Cathy
I've always pulled the dipstick cold, cleaned it, then put to one side, come back a bit later and taken the reading.

After 50+ years of VW ownership there's always been a difference in oil level depending on oil grade, condition and ambient temperature.  

My Subi engine T3 with the Smallcar remote dipstick is even worse, come back in at lest 15 mins then you'll get the right reading.  Dodgy
Dont you just wait till the red light comes on?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(03-10-2024, 03:21 PM)Barry Wrote: Dont you just wait till the red light comes on?

Big Grin I try not to ever let it get so low, that there’s not enough oil to read pressure, and cause that light to come on!
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(03-10-2024, 03:42 PM)Grantus Wrote: Big Grin I try not to ever let it get so low, that there’s not enough oil to read pressure, and cause that light to come on!

The manual states that the difference between the top and bottom lines on the dip stick is 1 litre so at the bottom mark there would be less than 4 litres of oil. I like to be just below the top mark as overfilling is not good for these motors.
Big Grin 
You need a longer dip stick Grant - then you wont need to fill it! Ha!
(08-10-2024, 07:58 PM)Syncro27 Wrote: You need a longer dip stick Grant - then you wont need to fill it! Ha!

I may be grey…….. but I’m not Blonde!  Tongue
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab