Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What did you do to your kombi today ?
Put Old Boy 's name back on after the new windscreen. Glad I got 2 made Smile .

Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
Spotty got a new sliding window in the sliding door. Unfortunately the flipper window had rusted out and we went the easy way out and replaced the whole thing with a slider and seal from JustKampers. Scott didn't take a before photo but trust me, it was amazing to see there was very little rot underneath.

Very happy with the end result. It was the first time we had installed one of these - definitely a 2 person job! Need to do the drivers side next - both the flippers are cactus.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(14-07-2024, 01:36 PM)Melissa Wrote: Spotty got a new sliding window in the sliding door. Unfortunately the flipper window had rusted out and we went the easy way out and replaced the whole thing with a slider and seal from JustKampers. Scott didn't take a before photo but trust me, it was amazing to see there was very little rot underneath.

Very happy with the end result. It was the first time we had installed one of these - definitely a 2 person job! Need to do the drivers side next - both the flippers are cactus.

Not the easy way - the smart way. 

Sort of get flippers in the front, but in the rear they are a pain and way too expensive to replace. 

Scott looks like he did a good job installing it. 
I have heard the aftermarket ones can be a bit of a pain to fit properly and not leak
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(14-07-2024, 01:36 PM)Melissa Wrote: Spotty got a new sliding window in the sliding door. Unfortunately the flipper window had rusted out and we went the easy way out and replaced the whole thing with a slider and seal from JustKampers. Scott didn't take a before photo but trust me, it was amazing to see there was very little rot underneath.

We have a slider window to go in Vera. Has been sitting there for a few years now. Feel like a trip to Gilmore to assist with a window installation?  Big Grin
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
(14-07-2024, 02:14 PM)Barry Wrote: Not the easy way - the smart way. 

Sort of get flippers in the front, but in the rear they are a pain and way too expensive to replace. 

Scott looks like he did a good job installing it. 
I have heard the aftermarket ones can be a bit of a pain to fit properly and not leak

Will have to give feedback after its been in the rain Smile
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(14-07-2024, 07:38 PM)Ninga Wrote: We have a slider window to go in Vera. Has been sitting there for a few years now. Feel like a trip to Gilmore to assist with a window installation?  Big Grin

If you were closer, we would love to help but its just that bit too far Chrissy. I don't see many videos on Youtube - probably because of the swearing and grunting I was doing pulling the weed trimmer line on the inside while Scott pushed from the outside.
I've got the same sliders from JK but they were advertised as 'lapping' in the different direction that will not work in a Sopru with the behind drivers seat cupboard. JK changed their website photos but never answered my complaint so left me with finding a solution. A cupped glass gripper that floats on the glass looking at the 'incoming'!

Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
(14-07-2024, 07:38 PM)Ninga Wrote: We have a slider window to go in Vera. Has been sitting there for a few years now. Feel like a trip to Gilmore to assist with a window installation?  Big Grin
You can drop by anytime, and bring the window to get it sorted.

If not, when you are ready, let me know and I’ll post you my cord and insert tool, that I did my windows on both the Velle & SC. Much less swearing than “weed trimmer line”, and more than happy to lend it to you.  Shy 

88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Well not completely today.  Started last Thursday at 8:00am  Arrived at Andys workshop.  Replaced ALL rubber bushes front and back with Powerflex bushes (except Power Steering rack as this was done a while ago).  Replaced the original 19mm sway bar with a 21mm sway bar from an air cooled T3.  Replaced the Tie rods and ends on the power steering rack.  Replace upper and lower ball joints.  Replaced the Rotors and bearings with rotors from Brickwerks (Black Diamond drilled and slotted) Replaced original spindles for Caravelle GL spindles which gives better turning circle.  2:00pm at the Land Rover workshop to use their wheel align setup where Andy did a front and rear wheel alignment.  On my way home by 3:30.
Round 2 today where Andy did a full rebuild of my Girling front brake calipers.
Well the result is stunning.  Takes me back to driving home my brand new Caravelle Gl back in 1990 except this time the handling is much better as have Koni shocks and VW Carat 25mm lowering springs.
Big smile on dial when driving now.
Wow Phil, that’s a lot of work !!!
Nice to have the contacts and workshop facility to make it all happen, hey.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light