Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust Repair Rear Roof Corner
Hi All,

After some help please. I need to cut out rust and replace rear roof corner & gutter of my '72 T2 Bay Bus. I have searched high & low for a replacement panel but all I can find is a "Rear Roof Repair Section" which is the whole rear section rather than just the corner and at $880 is a very expensive repair for one corner. I can also find a rear roof corner, roof inner and roof gutter replacements for  T2 split bus 1950-1967 which I don't think will fit. Has anyone else had to do a rear corner replacement on their post 1967 buses? If so how did you go about it? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Can you post up a pic of the effected area so others with better knowledge than me can see what really needs doing
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Photo 

The Bus is on a rotisserie and turned 90 degrees, so the picture is from above the nearside top corner of the bus.
I had exactly the same problem with my '72 and, sadly, you can't buy just the corner section....only the piece you mentioned. In the end I had to fabricate two new corners for mine. I bought the corner guttering piece and built the rest.
           Mark
(01-05-2024, 05:26 PM)Culmara Wrote: The Bus is on a rotisserie and turned 90 degrees, so the picture is from above the nearside top corner of the bus.

My bus was the same I cut the whole section off from about 90 degrees  and repaired it slowly on the bench this also gave me access to the rear bow  that had also had rust damage . I don’t think there is any parts for this other than a full roof .  So just take your time
We had the same with the 74 - we bought a cut from someone who was cutting up a parts bus and had it put in by a panel beater.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
Thanks all for your replies. It was as I feared. Oh well, time to test my fabrication skills.
Where abouts are you?

https://www.motorretro.com.au/

I have heard good reports for these guys.
You buy hours and they guide you.

Mark Oldman has been there and another friend of mine with a ridiculous car collection (17 last count incl a DB6) has also made panels there
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(02-05-2024, 12:36 PM)Barry Wrote: Where abouts are you?

Looks like Culmara needs to update his profile, to include a location?  Rolleyes

https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=222
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Beat me to it Barry  Big Grin.
For the cost of that roof repair section, you could buy more than 24hrs of tuition and materials.
End result equips you with the skills and experience to pretty much fabricate anything repair related.
Added bonus is that you get to use state of the art equipment and both Vaughan and Georgio are always happy to guide and advise as you go……
I can’t recommend MotoRRetro highly enough…. Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light