Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomers Fix Stuff !! What have you repaired ?
(12-01-2023, 10:22 AM)wirrah Wrote: Hmmm... No wonder there is so much land fill these days.

Sadly, the art of repairing faulty stuff is being lost over the yrs, although with the long delays and savage price rises recently, it seems to be making a comeback. I remember the old LCD screens that would fade to black, a simple diode and resistor replacement brought them back to life, better than new often because the correct value bits were used ..... that lead to the old tale about electronic equipment only being made to last for X yrs so you had to buy a new one.

Try to find a TV repair man under 50 yrs old, or someone who will repair an amplifier for that modular stereo system you have built up over the yrs.

I sold a '70's model Fairlane to one of the boys we raised, first thing he did was remove the hifi tuner complete with equaliser and replaced it with a thing that sounded like stones in a tin can being kicked down the street ......

At one stage I was repairing the cheap 40 amp battery chargers that were on Evilbay for yrs, these things  https://www.grays.com/retail/op-bc-hc-40...ry-charger People would send me their dead ones because they had bought a replacement for $40 or less, till I ended up with a cupboard full of them. When we moved to SA, the wife stayed back at the Lake Illawarra house to clean up, not long after the place was sold and we were set up over here, I started getting phone calls about that old battery charger, was I able to fix it, asked the wife where they went ...... scrap metal, no one wanted them so couldn't see the value of cluttering up the new workshop with stuff no one wanted  Rolleyes Turned out they were no longer cheap on Evilbay and then no longer available at all ..... there was maybe 50 cents worth of parts to repair them so no great financial loss as far as that went, but the fact that all those perfectly good battery chargers ended up as scrap really irked me

T1 Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boomers Fix Stuff !! What have you repaired ? - by T1 Terry - 12-01-2023, 01:55 PM