Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?
Not my vehicle but my Brother's.....
He and his partner visited over Christmas for a few days and picked up a Tek screw in one of his rear tyres.....result, flat tyre on Boxing Day . Dodgy
Nothing open around here until the 9th of Jan. and he had to be up at Ballina on the 27th.
I went to Auto Barn and purchased a Tubeless tyre repair kit for $20.00 and thought it was pretty much the last chance of him getting back on the road.

Man, have these things changed since I worked at Golden Fleece in the '70s !!  Big Grin 
Back then we used a pneumatic tool and solid rubber plug to repair the tyre and steel belted radials were often a problem 'cause the wires would not permit a good seal around the plug.

Now the process and kit is completely different....you get a Reamer to clear and broaden the hole to suit the "plug", an application tool, some rubber adhesive,five soft rubber compound rubber cords and a small trimming knife.
Process is really simple....remove the offending Tek screw, ream the hole a few times, place the cord in the applicator and apply the rubber adhesive all over the cord .. ( this acts as a lubricant to aid the insertion into the hole...) The adhesive appears to cause the cord to expand little, (could be wrong on this) and you then firmly push the cord into the hole until there's about a quarter of the cord sticking above the tread.....then, very quickly remove the applicator upwards which disengages the plug and it's all done !!

I must admit I was a little skeptical about how successful this would be but the fella that sold it to me swears by them when he's off roading so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Tyre then re-inflated to normal pressure, excess cord trimmed off and checked for leaks with soapy water spray ....all good !  Shy
Wheel back on car and my Brother drove 11 hours North without any issue or pressure loss....very happy. 
His spare was a Space Saver and limited to 80kph max. so was never going to be good enough for the trip.

I now have the kit in the kombi in my "bits n pieces" for breakdowns box. Wink

(He has since had a permanent patch placed on the inside of the tyre.....tyre shop said it will last the life of the tyre and no need for a new one.)
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light

Messages In This Thread
Beetle Resto - by Alpal - 08-07-2022, 08:52 PM
RE: Beetle Resto - by Grantus - 08-07-2022, 09:13 PM
RE: What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today? - by Oldman - 31-12-2022, 11:12 AM