Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What did you do to your kombi today ?
Fixed my sliding door....well, rather the "hold open" latching mechanism.
At the Nationals recently, Grantus was showing me his T3 slider and how it stayed firmly latched open. 
A lift of the handle releases the door latch keeper and it can then be closed. It's a real benefit if you are parked on a hill and need to get stuff out of the cargo area.
I was asked if it was the same on Bays but I wasn't sure, as mine had never operated like that as long as I've owned it....

It's been bugging me that my door doesn't do the same despite the external door panel, handle recess indicating that there should be a reason to lift the handle up.
My slider stays open if it's on level ground but has never been latched open and only requires the gentlest of tugs to close it..
(..and it closes beautifully. Tongue )

So, on with the specs. and thinking cap to see if I could work out what was wrong.
The retaining mechanism (keeper) hook has become worn over the years and wasn't holding the door in the locked open position, rather it was the friction that was sort of, holding it open. 
Closer inspection showed that the nose of the retaining hook had worn to a bevel rather than having a definite shoulder upon which the keeper mechanism can hold on.
After a few backwards and forwards runs of the door I could see where the keeper hook needed to be modified.
I didn't want to replace it unnecessarily and hoped that a bit of lateral thinking would help......
Out with my trusty Dremel and after very carefully grinding a new shoulder in place on the hook and removing a bit of stock further back  to allow it to locate, now it is as it should be.  Big Grin
Integrity of the mechanism has been maintained and now the door stays firmly latched open when required and with a lift of the handle, the mech. is actuated again, releasing the door to allow it to be closed. I reckon I could park the Tardis on its nose and the slider would stay open now....... Smile
Very satisfying to resolve an issue like this......so I shouted myself a couple of Coopers as a token of gratitude to the Kombi Gods.
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light

Messages In This Thread
What did you do to your kombi today ? - by Oldman - 01-07-2022, 09:32 AM
Wheel refurb - by ruby6689 - 20-12-2022, 10:52 AM
RE: Wheel refurb - by Barry - 20-12-2022, 11:45 AM
RE: What did you do to your kombi today ? - by Oldman - 28-05-2024, 04:42 PM