Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today?
(29-04-2024, 08:36 AM)Oldman Wrote: Repaired the OS number plate light on the Forester.......
Light has been intermittent , on/off for a while now so I thought I'd get to the bottom gf the issue.
Turned out that a small plastic section of the T10 wedge globe socket had snapped off, eccentrically loading the globe in its housing, so contact wasn't good.
Looked at replacement options.....sheeeeeet ! ..... a replacement harness, (it's only 2' long), was going to cost $210.00 for OEM. 
A few Chinese knock-off options on the 'net but not really a fan, so on with the thinking cap.
Disassembled the rear tailgate trim to get access to the globe holders and clipped off the damaged unit. A trip to Jaycar where a new T10 fitting cost all of $4.50 and back home. Out with the Dremel - I LOVE my Dremel !! - and I pared back the moulded sections of the original globe holder,( it's all in one piece), ground out a 15 mm hole for the new T10 socket and installed the replacement. A couple of heat shrink solder joiners and the harness is complete again. 
Re-assembled the tailgate trim and paid myself in beer.... Big Grin
Job done.
Is the Forester like the Outback where the tailgate switch and number plate lamps are on the same harness hence the high cost?
PR

Messages In This Thread
Beetle Resto - by Alpal - 08-07-2022, 08:52 PM
RE: Beetle Resto - by Grantus - 08-07-2022, 09:13 PM
RE: What did you do to your Non-Kombi VW or other car today? - by KIWI - 29-04-2024, 04:29 PM