Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What did you do to your kombi today ?
Finished cleaning the kombi after our trip.....
I had red dust in places I didn't know I had places !!
Cleaned inside & out and a nice coat of carnauba to moisturise the paint....surfboards & wetsuits back in and ready to continue my everyday retirement activities  Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I put her on the back of a tow truck again. 

Which is not unusual. Evie seems to do more km without me these days.

I sent her back to Custom Vee Dub and Pete had her purring again. Then for whatever reason my ignition system went funky.
Initially thinking it was flooded, then thinking it was maybe starved for fuel.
The original ignition got so hot it started smoking (after short bursts). Replaced that and I found that the main power wire to the coil if stuffed. So off she goes again. That is not something I want to replace lying under the bus. Plus I would like to have a mechanic see what it started in the first place. 

Bloody kombi's!
Dodgy
Geez Brad…..Evie’s had a rough trot lately…Better days ahead…
Cheers,
Mark

After our amazing trip to Busstop Strathalbyn, I got motivated to fix some long running annoyances. Worst has been the speedo which had been at around 10% out since we got the Doctor, but on this last trip had slipped even further to closer to 15-20% under, making it difficult to gauge speed with out a GPS on my phone. They are a sealed magnetic coupling for the speedo part but the trip meter is direct drive and was still accurate. My thought is the magnets have started to lose power and causing it to slip slightly. I had a spare speedo in the spares pile, so connected that up to the cable and took it for a run to see how close it was. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was around reading 2 kms above the GPS. So out with the dash!
Took the opportunity to connect the dash light up for the clock(that I don’t use) to make it match at night, with a new LED lamp. The JK ones are great but if you want them to dim with the dash light dimmer you need to have an incandescent globe in the circuit to load the variable resistor. In my case I have a couple in some extra gauges, so once I tidied the wiring for those and reconnected them dimming came back. Removed some unused cabling and tided and cleaned up behind the dash. Also added an additional USB Point for the phones and IPad. 

Took her out for a run and the replacement speedo works perfectly.

Would like to get the old one reconditioned one day, I know there is places about that do them but not sure where. 

Good result all around. 

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
After 7 months of the SC being an unregistered “motorised wheelbarrow” around the block, it has work to do, and was time to put it back on the road. Charged the battery overnight, filled it up with coolant and checked the oil level.

Got online, and paid for the rego, and set off. Had no idea how much fuel was still in it, but I knew it was very low. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought the fuel guage was broken. Didn’t change from below empty with ignition on, or off!

Got to around 3kms away from the petrol station, and it started to hesitate. Gentle left right with the steering wheel, and it found a little more fuel, and picked up slightly. Turn right into the street, and it really hesitated, with the petrol station in sight. “C’mon, keep going!!!” It found enough fumes to get into the station and pull up at the bowser. Idling, I wondered if there was anymore? Touched the accelerator…..and it died!.

Managed to put 60.4 litres in, and it only has a 60 litre tank!!!  Big Grin

Saved me bothering to drain out the old stale fuel, before putting it back on the road, I guess…….  Tongue
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Well done to make it to the petrol station! Talk about running on fumes!

Josie was picked up this morning by the tow truck to get her new carbies and distributor fitted - the last time she was driven was November last year - thank heavens for Historic rego of $50 per year Wink
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".
(24-05-2023, 05:59 PM)Grantus Wrote: After 7 months of the SC being an unregistered “motorised wheelbarrow” around the block, it has work to do, and was time to put it back on the road. Charged the battery overnight, filled it up with coolant and checked the oil level.

Got online, and paid for the rego, and set off. Had no idea how much fuel was still in it, but I knew it was very low. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought the fuel guage was broken. Didn’t change from below empty with ignition on, or off!

Got to around 3kms away from the petrol station, and it started to hesitate. Gentle left right with the steering wheel, and it found a little more fuel, and picked up slightly. Turn right into the street, and it really hesitated, with the petrol station in sight. “C’mon, keep going!!!” It found enough fumes to get into the station and pull up at the bowser. Idling, I wondered if there was anymore? Touched the accelerator…..and it died!.

Managed to put 60.4 litres in, and it only has a 60 litre tank!!!  Big Grin

Saved me bothering to drain out the old stale fuel, before putting it back on the road, I guess…….  Tongue
Hey Grantus, 

Sometimes luck 'is on your side' Wink

& fresh fuel!

Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
During a drive today, I found that the engine revs were consistently high in neutral at traffic lights ...
Turned out to be the O/S choke element not opening correctly/getting up to temperature.
The body was noticeably cooler to touch than the N/S unit....something inside has failed.
So, took a look around and found a new pair at Mick Motors....they are on their way as I type  Smile
Cheers,
Mark

…..chokes arrived this morning from Mick Motors.
Installed them and now working perfectly again……the original nearside unit was still working fine, but I swapped it out anyway…….if they exist in pairs, they should be replaced in pairs I reckon…. Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark

My 123 tune + arrived - just need it fitted to Josie now.
1962 Splitty "Little Red". 1974 Deluxe Bay "Spotty". 1976 Sunliner Campmobile "Josie". 1997 Golf CL. 2005 R5 Touareg. 2007 Beetle "Mickey".