Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What did you do to your kombi today ?
(22-01-2023, 09:14 AM)Pabloako Wrote: I found out why my VDO oil temperature gauge (with dipstick sender) was freaking me out and rapidly rising from about 120°C to over 150°C causing me to panic. 
I found that a dodgy earth connection (the bottom spade connector on the gauge) was making the gauge shoot up when the resistance in the dipstick was increasing.

New earth connection and it is nice and stable now Smile .
I used a infrared thermometer on the oil on the end of the dipstick and the gauge is still inaccurate and 25°c h hotter than the oil, but I now know that the "big thick" line is my happy running temperature.

I also replace the points with a Pertronix and a new coil yesterday,  turned the key expecting it to splutter and to my suprise she fired right up!  Smile

After that, a few beers to celebrate two successes in one day!

Well done !!
Nice when the fixes are easy, hey  Cool
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
I replaced the rear fixed windows with sliding windows. Some of the rubber seal tore on the inside. but they seem ok.
the sliding door had a vent window and it's a bit rusty on the rim where the vet window was fixed in .  Ive wire brushed and sanded the rim but im not sure if i should fill the gap after the penetrol dries?  I don't have car filler so I thought airdry clay or fimo with added fibre would work too.  should I fill the gap?
Photo 
I can't upload photos but I'll keep trying to get photos  Blush i don't think the links will work

file:///Users/brigid/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/9/9E96AD7F-714F-457D-8615-5B6B8A90F8F8_1_105_c.jpeg
I first drove my kombi on a rainy night on the freeway, my 8yo rang the guy to ask where are the wipers? Big Grin
1974 Bay 2L Sopru Pop-top Camper
(22-01-2023, 04:14 PM)wagonwanderer Wrote: I can't upload photos but I'll keep trying to get photos  Blush  i don't think the links will work

file:///Users/brigid/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/9/9E96AD7F-714F-457D-8615-5B6B8A90F8F8_1_105_c.jpeg

….nah, link didn’t work…
Pics need to be less than 500kb in order to upload.
Keep trying, you’ll get there……we all had to play with this setup  Big Grin

…..and yes, fill those gaps otherwise you’ll get water inside the panel skin and it’ll rot.
Upol make a great range of fillers for smaller filling jobs.
Cheers,
Mark

Daisy got her QLD Roadworthy today and then I drove to QLD Transport and registered her.  Yay!   Happy Days!

Another Kombi on the road.  Smile
Daisy is on the road again!
(72 Cross.over Lowlight, painted in Kansas Beige and Pastel White)
Ocean View, QLD
(24-01-2023, 03:26 PM)Pabloako Wrote: Daisy got her QLD Roadworthy today and then I drove to QLD Transport and registered her.  Yay!   Happy Days!

Another Kombi on the road.  Smile
Yeeeew !!
Stoked for you.... Cool 
Now try & wipe the smile off your face  Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark

Replaced the clutch cable, clevis pin....... Blush
Was heading for a dip yesterday and the clutch pedal hit the floor after an almighty "BANG".....
Certainly didn't feel like a broken cable......had that before & there always seems to be a bit of give as the remaining strands stretch before breaking .....
Fortunately I was only a few hundred m from my destination and parked up ok.
Belly pan off.... and sure enough the clevis pin had sheared, leaving the cable disconnected from the pedal bracket.
....here's the offending member :

There were no fragments of the stud in the pan & I guess the stud remanent fell out the hole.
A rummage in my on-board bits'n' pieces & I found an old, partially worn clevis pin.
After waiting for the engine to cool down, I backed off the clutch cable wingnut, enough to relocate the cable fork onto the pedal bracket.
Old clevis pin in, clutch cable re-adjusted and it's back home we go........
A few 'phone calls later and Kai ( at Just Kampers) puts a replacement in the mail for me....thanks buddy !! Cool
Seems these are few and far between at the moment......Tooleys is out completely & JK only had one.

Once home and another rummage through my bolts'n'bits tin & set this up:

The bull bar bracket made access for the nyloc a bit testing....but it's all back together and working as it should.
use of a hot melt glue gun helped retain the nut in a ring spanner and nipped the Allen key up nicely....no binding, free to move/rotate as the pedal is depressed.
I reckon most folks would not carry a spare clevis pin.......clutch cable sure...... but when was the last time you actually looked at the pin itself ?
With Bus Stop in SA this year and a long haul for most of us, I'd recommend checking your's out before you hit the road......AND grab a spare !
You may not need it but maybe someone else could...... Wink

I reckon a good mod. would be to drill out the pedal bracket and press a roller bearing in that would accept the clevis pin itself.....it'd never wear out !!
Cheers,
Mark

(26-01-2023, 04:26 PM)Oldman Wrote: I reckon a good mod. would be to drill out the pedal bracket and press a roller bearing in that would accept the clevis pin itself.....it'd never wear out !!
That’s a great idea! Probably something VW should have done at the factory, but was eliminated due to extra cost……..
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
I normally carry a spare cable, wing nut ,clevis pin and a Bowden tube. Leave it all in the bag that the cable come in. ready to go if ever needed. yes I have had a wing nut strip out the threads once.
Nice i like your idea as well.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(26-01-2023, 06:07 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: I normally carry a spare cable, wing nut ,clevis pin and a Bowden tube. Leave it all in the bag that the cable come in. ready to go if ever needed. yes I have had a wing nut strip out the threads once.
Nice i like your idea as well.
GEMO supply all of the above in a kit with the seals thrown in for good measure.

On the subject of replacing clutch cables, the GEMO cable has a log black protective tube on the front that appears to be to protect the cable as it passes through the frame.

Exactly here should the shorter white one go?
Before or after the Bowden tube?

PR