Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Type 4 Oil Change with Pics.
Courtesy felixqld66 :

Quote:Oil change type 4 motor

Pictures help me a lot, so I thought I would throw this up in case it helps anyone else.

To do the job I got together the following tools – it was of course a journey of discovery. 

• 20 mm socket – for the oil drain plug
• 13mm socket – for the filter screen cover
• A socket bar for the above
• An oil filter wrench from Supercheap
• Rachet to suit the oil wrench
• An engineers scribe – cause I know engineers are smart and do important stuff to cars
• A tension wrench for tightening everything back up
• Oil drain pan
• A toothbrush – a guy doesn’t want to be accused of having breath
  bad enough to sink a prawn trawler !, apart from that it is very handy for cleaning the filterscreen.  Rolleyes

[Image: schoolzookombi179.jpg]

I have also purchased a filter, gasket and compression washer from a vw supplier

[Image: schoolzookombi170.jpg]

Then with all the stuff I parked the kombi on the hottest concrete slab I could find Tongue  and considered finding a more shaded/cooler location.
Looking up under the motor I located the drain plug and undid that, draining the oil into the pan.
All care was taken but of course I dropped the plug into the pan.....

[Image: schoolzookombi167.jpg] 

[Image: schoolzookombi169.jpg]

Then I removed the filter screen cover with the 13mm socket - the engineers scribe was handy to pop it off. 
The photo below shows the cover on.... just behind the drain plug.

[Image: schoolzookombi167.jpg]

The filterscreen came out with the gasket in place

[Image: schoolzookombi172.jpg]

Quote:Then I removed the oil filter with the special wrench - now you see it

[Image: schoolzookombi166.jpg]

Now you don't

[Image: schoolzookombi177.jpg]

While the oil was draining I cleaned up the oil screen.

[Image: schoolzookombi171.jpg]

When the oil was all drained I put a smear of oil on the gasket of the oil filter and screwed it back on tightening it by hand only.

[Image: schoolzookombi178.jpg]

The filterscreen was fitted back back in with the gasket in place and the nut was tightened with the tension wrench to 9ft/lbs. 
The sump plug was also fitted with a compresion washer and tightened to 9ft/lbs by the wrench.

Refilling the motor was done in a few stages so as to not over fill it, checking the dipstick as I went.

Pretty easy job really, and a mate an I did my bus and his T3 in about an hour sharing the tools and learning as we went. 

I reckon you could knock it over in 20 mins once you have done it the first time.