Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
T3 starting issue
(19-02-2024, 11:49 AM)Oldman Wrote: "sticky" solenoid should engage if tapped with something whilst trying to cranki......
If it doesn't, check the voltage/power feed to the solenoid, ..... and all earths.
( Just been down this rabbit hole with the Forester  Big Grin )

I have a “knockometer”, in the rear of the single cab, for that sole purpose…..  Shy
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(19-02-2024, 11:49 AM)Oldman Wrote: "sticky" solenoid should engage if tapped with something whilst trying to cranki......
If it doesn't, check the voltage/power feed to the solenoid, ..... and all earths.
( Just been down this rabbit hole with the Forester  Big Grin )

The relay virtually eliminates all of the voltage drop in the circuit.
(25-02-2024, 05:11 PM)grumble Wrote: The relay virtually eliminates all of the voltage drop in the circuit.

Your correct as long as the earth side has no issues . As a roadside assistance technician you would be amazed at the amount of issues that are caused by “ bad  earth “  . This can easily be checked by multimeter simply place one lead of your meter to the negative battery terminal and the other to the block or starter motor body , then switch meter to DC voltage  and have someone crank engine the meter  should not read more than 0.1 volts . More than .5 of a volt is an issue and gets worse the higher it gets . Hope this helps . It is always hard to diagnose a hard to start problem from another State .When You say hard to start . Does it crank meaning the motor turning over or  when you turn the key nothing happens “ meaning no noise at all”   Good luck Trevor
(19-02-2024, 12:07 PM)Grantus Wrote: I have a “knockometer”, in the rear of the single cab, for that sole purpose…..  Shy
Who hasn't laid under the starter of a Kombi with a matchbox locked in to keep the start cycle engaged & then used the knockometer on the solenoid! Thought it was normal for kombi 'work around' starting procedure! Wink .

Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren
I too have now bought 2 of the uniWerks Hard Start Relay Kits, which are now on their way.  Smile

So impressed was I, with the service and communication, I’ve sent Chris a link to KCA, to have a read and see if wants to join us here.  Cool
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
Yes - he is very helpful

We should have arranged a “group buy”
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(01-03-2024, 05:34 AM)Barry Wrote: Yes - he is very helpful

We should have arranged a “group buy”

Indeed, and we could have shared the postage costs… Rolleyes

Next parts shopping perhaps…..
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
My pair arrived today, thanks Chris.

Will try and find time to install one over the weekend……  Rolleyes
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(15-03-2024, 11:21 AM)Grantus Wrote: My pair arrived today, thanks Chris.

Will try and find time to install one over the weekend……  Rolleyes

Pretty easy job and also has the benefit of protecting your ignition switch.