Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from T3lay, the double relay replacement.
Hey all Smile I thought I’d take a moment to introduce myself and a new VW product fresh to the market! Many of you might remember me as Dapom on the T3 forum on the original KC forum. I’ve developed a VW L-Jetronic double relay replacement which is available to order now! If you search for T3lay on Facebook then you will find the page. For those of you without Facebook, all the info is below for you Smile 

G’day air cooled VW owners!

This story starts about 7 years ago shortly after i bought my bus, an 83 T3 running factory L-Jetronic fuel injection. The original double relay gave up early in my ownership…first tow truck! The next couple of second hand ones led to the tow truck too. I investigated what had failed on the VW double relay units and in every case it was the relay itself.  As the relays are not replaceable, the only solution was to buy another VW double relay.

At this point I decided to make my own replacement unit using standard, cheap and readily available 4 pin relays. The relays used are $10 at any auto parts store. If a relay did fail on my unit, a spare in my glovebox could be plugged in and I would be back on the road. It was ugly as there was no easy way to package the components but it didn’t let me down for over 6.5yrs.

About 6 months ago I decided to revisit the idea and produced some prototype T3lay’s utilising CAD and 3D printing technology. After extensive testing on various vehicles I am pleased to be able to offer the final production model T3lay for purchase.

A bit about the product

The housing for the T3lay is 3D printed in ABS plastic. On the bottom of the T3lay we have the VW pins to plug the VW double relay plugs into and the top accepts 2 standard 4 pin relays.

The T3lay replaces original VW/Bosch 11 pin and 13 pin double relays as installed to factory fuel injected Type 2 bay windows, beetles and T3 <84, the first universal unit available on the market.

The T3lay is supplied complete with 2 x 4 pin relays installed, meaning that all you need to do is simply unplug and unscrew the original double relay unit and then install the T3lay in its place!

T3lay delivered anywhere in Australia $250.

For any questions or to place an order, please send a DM.

Thanks for your support.

Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Welcome (back) to Kombi Club Australia Chris!  Smile

Join in with the some of the convos & chat on here, as well as flogging your stuff!  Tongue

Enjoy the ride…….  Cool
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(22-03-2024, 03:28 PM)Grantus Wrote: Welcome (back) to Kombi Club Australia Chris!  Smile

Join in with the some of the convos & chat on here, as well as flogging your stuff!  Tongue

Enjoy the ride…….  Cool

Hey Grantus! Certainly will do….lots of good info, threads and people
On here Smile if as an added bonus I get to help some VW owners never have to worry about their double relay again then that would be great!
(22-03-2024, 02:47 PM)T3lay Wrote: Hey all Smile I thought I’d take a moment to introduce myself and a new VW product fresh to the market! Many of you might remember me as Dapom on the T3 forum on the original KC forum. I’ve developed a VW L-Jetronic double relay replacement which is available to order now! If you search for T3lay on Facebook then you will find the page. For those of you without Facebook, all the info is below for you Smile 

G’day air cooled VW owners!

This story starts about 7 years ago shortly after i bought my bus, an 83 T3 running factory L-Jetronic fuel injection. The original double relay gave up early in my ownership…first tow truck! The next couple of second hand ones led to the tow truck too. I investigated what had failed on the VW double relay units and in every case it was the relay itself.  As the relays are not replaceable, the only solution was to buy another VW double relay.

At this point I decided to make my own replacement unit using standard, cheap and readily available 4 pin relays. The relays used are $10 at any auto parts store. If a relay did fail on my unit, a spare in my glovebox could be plugged in and I would be back on the road. It was ugly as there was no easy way to package the components but it didn’t let me down for over 6.5yrs.

About 6 months ago I decided to revisit the idea and produced some prototype T3lay’s utilising CAD and 3D printing technology. After extensive testing on various vehicles I am pleased to be able to offer the final production model T3lay for purchase.

A bit about the product

The housing for the T3lay is 3D printed in ABS plastic. On the bottom of the T3lay we have the VW pins to plug the VW double relay plugs into and the top accepts 2 standard 4 pin relays.

The T3lay replaces original VW/Bosch 11 pin and 13 pin double relays as installed to factory fuel injected Type 2 bay windows, beetles and T3 <84, the first universal unit available on the market.

The T3lay is supplied complete with 2 x 4 pin relays installed, meaning that all you need to do is simply unplug and unscrew the original double relay unit and then install the T3lay in its place!

T3lay delivered anywhere in Australia $250.

For any questions or to place an order, please send a DM.

Thanks for your support.

Chris
TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - How to make your own FI double relay
(22-03-2024, 07:20 PM)rstucke Wrote: TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - How to make your own FI double relay

Hey mate. Thanks for sharing. This is an article that I hadn’t seen before! It certainly is one way to build one but not the same as how mine works. Anyone is obviously welcome to use that article or reverse engineer from scratch as I have done but that doesn’t negate a plug and play solution being available on the market. Especially at less than a third of the price for a replacement Bosch double relay unit.
Great to see you back Dapom / T3lay

Sounds great what you have   
Is it T3 only or work with T2 injection?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(22-03-2024, 08:59 PM)Barry Wrote: Great to see you back Dapom / T3lay

From his post:

“The T3lay replaces original VW/Bosch 11 pin and 13 pin double relays as installed to factory fuel injected Type 2 bay windows, beetles and T3 <84, the first universal unit available on the market.”

Do you and Phil both need new glasses?  Tongue
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(22-03-2024, 08:59 PM)Barry Wrote: Great to see you back Dapom / T3lay

Hey Barry! Although the T3lay was originally developed for the aircooled T3, it evolved and is now universal fitment for T2 bay window, beetle and T3, replacing either 11 or 13 pin original double relays.
(22-03-2024, 09:13 PM)Grantus From his post: Wrote: “The T3lay replaces original VW/Bosch 11 pin and 13 pin double relays as installed to factory fuel injected Type 2 bay windows, beetles and T3 <84, the first universal unit available on the market.”

Do you and Phil both need new glasses?  Tongue

Dodgy  Sleepy
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
I worked out how to post a photo! Look at me the tech whizz lol