Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kombi to go EV
As I've posted somewhere else, not sure where, I've purchased a salvage MG4 with the intention of transferring all the EV stuff to my '74 kombi with the very distinctive name of Kombi.
The plan it to do all the install stuff till I get it drivable as an EV, then stripping it back out and getting the body sorted.

Here are few photos of the donor MG4

The start of the fun stuff will be finding how to mount these bits

This is the brake M/C, power booster and anti lock brakes and maybe traction control along with the emergency stop ... a complex set up that I'll explain later

This is the steering rack. Electrically driven, uses a torque sensor to determine how much assist is required and part of the dreaded self steer that will be a function I won't be keeping

There is another photo but I'll need to start another post

T1 Terry
This is the electric reverse cycle air conditioning

Sounds like a frill addition and not really needed, but it is part of the motor cooling system and the battery thermal management system as well as inside vehicle comfort control

This monstrous black lump is the cabin climate module, complete with a cabin air filter .... maybe it will pressurise the inside of Kombi and push the dust out :lol: 

T1 Terry
(25-02-2024, 11:51 AM)T1 Terry Wrote: This is the electric reverse cycle air conditioning

Sounds like a frill addition and not really needed, but it is part of the motor cooling system and the battery thermal management system as well as inside vehicle comfort control

This monstrous black lump is the cabin climate module, complete with a cabin air filter .... maybe it will pressurise the inside of Kombi and push the dust out :lol: 

T1 Terry

Hey Terry sounds like a great project what area are you in ?  Would love to see you progress and help if your around  Brisbane . Good Luck Trevor
(25-02-2024, 10:36 PM)Eltrevo Wrote: Hey Terry sounds like a great project what area are you in ?  Would love to see you progress and help if your around  Brisbane . Good Luck Trevor

Terry needs to add his “location”, to his member profile:  Rolleyes

https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=222
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
(26-02-2024, 09:11 AM)Grantus Wrote: Terry needs to add his “location”, to his member profile:  Rolleyes

https://kombiclubaustralia.com/showthread.php?tid=222

Yeah, thank you for the guidance ... still took a bit, must be getting even older and more tech illiterate, took a while to realise the "change email address click here" was a link to elsewhere and that was not the purpose of that window thingy  Blush
Lost my avatar in the workshop fire, both the computer and back up hard drive were either burnt to nothing or part of what was taken if the fire was to disguise a robbery. Have to try and make a new one

T1 Terry
(25-02-2024, 10:36 PM)Eltrevo Wrote: Hey Terry sounds like a great project what area are you in ?  Would love to see you progress and help if your around  Brisbane . Good Luck Trevor

Thanks Trevor, a long was to travel to see what is happening and offer a hand, but thank you for the offer.
Every day I research hurdles that need to be crossed, the more daunting the job appears. I initially thought, both being rear motor drive assemblies, it would just be body work fabrication and mating up driveshafts. Then fabricating an assembly at the front for the rack and pinion electric steering .... then the real issues started appear. Everything is tied into everything else, the steering is tied into the keep lane assist and that is tied into a camera up front, that is tied into the brakes for the emergency stop feature, then the body stability mode is tied into all of that somehow (yet to figure just what that operates) 
Then the brakes, they are an integrated system, so the hubs and rotors along with the callipers will need to be adapted to the kombi on the front spindles somehow, and into the rear suspension on the rear, they also carry the wheel speed sensors, and every calliper has a pressure/flow control valve that handles the traction control, anti lock brakes and the park brake for the rear callipers, plus it has a park pawl in the transaxle ..... then the air conditioner is also part of the battery thermal management, the motor transaxle cooling as well as the cabin comfort .... there is a heat exchanger that moves the heat from one circuit to the next as required and there are three different fluid paths that meet up at this heat exchanger, cabin coolant, motor/transaxle/inverter coolant and air conditioning fluid .... and both a coolant radiator and an air conditioning condenser or evaporator depending if it's in normal mode or reverse cycle ......

Then there are the myriad of ECUs and controls inside the cabin. One I have to burrow down and find first is the accident detection ECU. Once it triggers the airbags and the seatbelt tensioners, it disconnects the main battery to safeguard both the occupants and any recue personal from any electrical issues, and then sets off an Evacuate Vehicle Warning flashing on the screen in front of the driver (there are two screens) and a really annoying alarm ... that doesn't stop until the 12v battery is flat or is disconnected ....

This is the part I'm at now, get it to drive so I know it did drive before I started  Rolleyes 

Still working on the "New to us" motorhome, getting the electrics sorted there ready for our first trip end of April, the one we were about to take off on the day after the fire destroyed our other motorhome that was parked in the workshop having its oil changed before we headed off ..... So, no real work on the project until July, when we return ........

T1 Terry
(26-02-2024, 05:14 PM)T1 Terry Wrote: Thanks Trevor, a long was to travel to see what is happening and offer a hand, but thank you for the offer.
Every day I research hurdles that need to be crossed, the more daunting the job appears. I initially thought, both being rear motor drive assemblies, it would just be body work fabrication and mating up driveshafts. Then fabricating an assembly at the front for the rack and pinion electric steering .... then the real issues started appear. Everything is tied into everything else, the steering is tied into the keep lane assist and that is tied into a camera up front, that is tied into the brakes for the emergency stop feature, then the body stability mode is tied into all of that somehow (yet to figure just what that operates) 
Then the brakes, they are an integrated system, so the hubs and rotors along with the callipers will need to be adapted to the kombi on the front spindles somehow, and into the rear suspension on the rear, they also carry the wheel speed sensors, and every calliper has a pressure/flow control valve that handles the traction control, anti lock brakes and the park brake for the rear callipers, plus it has a park pawl in the transaxle ..... then the air conditioner is also part of the battery thermal management, the motor transaxle cooling as well as the cabin comfort .... there is a heat exchanger that moves the heat from one circuit to the next as required and there are three different fluid paths that meet up at this heat exchanger, cabin coolant, motor/transaxle/inverter coolant and air conditioning fluid .... and both a coolant radiator and an air conditioning condenser or evaporator depending if it's in normal mode or reverse cycle ......

Then there are the myriad of ECUs and controls inside the cabin. One I have to burrow down and find first is the accident detection ECU. Once it triggers the airbags and the seatbelt tensioners, it disconnects the main battery to safeguard both the occupants and any recue personal from any electrical issues, and then sets off an Evacuate Vehicle Warning flashing on the screen in front of the driver (there are two screens) and a really annoying alarm ... that doesn't stop until the 12v battery is flat or is disconnected ....

This is the part I'm at now, get it to drive so I know it did drive before I started  Rolleyes 

Still working on the "New to us" motorhome, getting the electrics sorted there ready for our first trip end of April, the one we were about to take off on the day after the fire destroyed our other motorhome that was parked in the workshop having its oil changed before we headed off ..... So, no real work on the project until July, when we return ........

T1 Terry

Well that’s a list  but not impossible .I will have to drop in and see your Progress in 2025  while on my “ gap year”  ?
(26-02-2024, 10:19 PM)Eltrevo Wrote: Well that’s a list  but not impossible .I will have to drop in and see your Progress in 2025  while on my “ gap year”  ?
2035 If it's a "normal" Kombi project  Big Grin
PR
On a lot of sports cars they have what is known as a Pyro Fuse which triggers when the airbags are deployed so the vehicle electrics don't cause a fire.

Not sure if an MG all electric version would have this but possible as Teslas have it.

Try searching for that and it may solve your annoying issues.
(01-03-2024, 12:06 PM)Syncro27 Wrote: On a lot of sports cars they have what is known as a Pyro Fuse which triggers when the airbags are deployed so the vehicle electrics don't cause a fire.

Not sure if an MG all electric version would have this but possible as Teslas have it.

Try searching for that and it may solve your annoying issues.

BMW’s have it too