Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY CV Joints

1. Quote:Courtesy of StevieVW :

Two of my four Microbus's CV boots were busted so I'm replacing all four.

This may could also help you if you have a bum CV, just pack and replace instead of clean and inspect!

Be ready to have grease on your here's, there's and every where's

And so, onward and upward! Remember please, safety at all times.

I used:

4 CV boot kits; Thanks Roy,
    6mm allen key,
    Lots and lots of clean rags,
    A big socket or similar to help ease the CV's back on the shaft,
    A hammer,
    A punch,
    A fair bit of parts cleaner,
    Cir clip pliers,
    A vice, 
    Flat blade screwdriver for making sure the cir clip is seated where it should.

[Image: 1RemovedCVs.jpg]

First of all I pulled the old CV out. You may need a special tool to undo your 24 bolts/screws I was lucky and the previous person used allen key head bolts/screws so it was pretty easy for removing them, if your not as lucky you may need a special 12 point tool to undo your bolts/screw.

[Image: 2Transaxle.jpg]

Here's the trans axle end I cleaned all the old cruddy grease out, ready for reinstalling the axle shaft.

[Image: 3WheelEnd.jpg]

This is the other end as you may have guessed by the presence of the wheel, same again clean the old grease off as above.

[Image: 4CVEndon.jpg]

Right then, down to business, off we go to the parts washer and wipe the grease off the cir-clip ready for dis assembly.

2. Quote:[Image: 5RemovingCirclip.jpg]

OK remove the cir clip with cir clip pliers if you have them, it is possible with two screwdrivers but the right tools make it so easy, I'd recommend springing for a set of these pliers, so much quicker easier and less frustrating!

[Image: 5SlidingCVOff.jpg]

I was lucky here the CV came off the shaft with very minimal effort. If it's hard to get off the John Muir books says you can put it in a vice or similar and knock the axle shaft out with a drift punch, just watch them toes as the shaft falls through the vice!

[Image: 6CVOff.jpg]

OK CV and axle shaft apart! 

DON'T MIX CV PARTS, John Muir says so.

[Image: 7TakingCVBallsOut.jpg]

OK now rock the CV inner race to the side and remove the balls one at a time... They can be a little stuck so a small screw driver to pop them out of the cage can be handy.

1. Quote:[Image: 8TakingCVApart.jpg]

Until you can take the inner race and cage out of the outer race, some balls may remain.

[Image: 9TakingInnerRaceandCageApart.jpg]

OK now take apart the inner bearing race and the cage.

Now to clean everything thoroughly so you can inspect for wear and/or damaged parts. Clean the bolts, little flat plates and any other parts, I kept any left over bits at the end as spares.

[Image: 10CleanedOuterRace.jpg]

[Image: 11CleanedInnerRace.jpg]

[Image: 14CleanedCVBalls.jpg]

OK now to check to see if any or your CV's need replacing;

-If your balls are pitted or have gouges this is bad as are black or blue balls(Not just in the case of CV's), shiny balls are good.
-Shiny spots (On inner and outer races) where the balls work back and fourth are OK but you don't want grooves.

My CV's were all looking pretty good, with only one of mine indicated any wear as far as I was concerned; but not enough to warrant replacing.

Quote:[Image: 15AssemblingInnerRaceAndCage.jpg]

[Image: 16AssemblingInnerRaceAndCage.jpg]

OK lets put this show back together, inner race in the cage.

[Image: 16AssemblingInnerRaceAndCage.jpg]

Outer and inner race ready to go back together.

[Image: 18InnerAndOuterRaceandCage.jpg]

Sit inner race and cage in outer race. 
IMPORTANT: The Grooves where the balls run do NOT line up they must be off set or the joint wont pivot. Will only work one way around.

[Image: 19InstallingCVBalls.jpg]

OK now rock the inner race to fit the balls in, you may have to pick it up off the bench to get the last few in.

[Image: 20AssembledCV.jpg]

IMPORTANT: The Grooves where the balls run do NOT line up they must be off set or the joint wont pivot. Will only work one way around.

[Image: 21AssembledCV.jpg]

OK CV assembled.

[Image: 22CleanedAxleShaft.jpg]

OK clean up your axle shaft and remove the old boots and get a friend or a vice to the shaft ready for your CV.

First put the shaft to boot clamp on(Don't clamp it until your CV is on and the cir clip in place), then the CV boot, then the cup washer as in picture.

Now pack your CV with grease, I got over 3/4 of the grease that came with my new boots in the CV's then the rest in the CV boots.

[Image: 24AxleWithCVOn.jpg]
OK now slide your CV onto the shaft(The groove on the outer race goes to the boot/shaft end), if it is reluctant to go on; a little persuasion may be necessary. Once you have the CV far enough down the shaft, put the cir clip on and make sure it sits nicely in its groove. Then line up the CV boot so the holes in the boot and outer race line up.

[Image: 25CompletedAxleShaft.jpg]

Do the other end and you'll end up with something like this....

[Image: 26InstalledAxle.jpg]

A friend to help hold the CV up while you bolt it in is handy but I managed by myself. 
Watch out for your balls dropping out if you get too much angle on your CV. 
I bolted to the wheel end first (remember the plates, 3 per CV), then with the trans axle in neutral lined up the trans axle end holes and bolted them on and tightened them up to 25 ft lbs. 
You'll have to spin the wheels around to get all the bolts in, so you can roll your bus or jack it up (and block it) and spin the wheel. 
Check everything is done up, Your Done!

Apart from being a very messy job, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Great photos and discussion.
When I replaced my CV boots last year I found these youtube links very helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGMB5IqqcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGnOMJkioU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HC2V4UvWiM
Also section 5.2 of Ratwell
https://ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html

The Bentley Manual gives reasonable instruction.

In accordance with the Bentley Manual I did not reinstall the dished washers.
I hope this is correct!
As mentioned - the job is not difficult - but very very messy.
1971 Sopru aka Doob
I had my magpie Apprentice helping me when I last did mine.....new C'V's, new boots, bolts and Schnorr washers....

It's almost a shame to re-pack 'em with grease....everything is soooo nice 'n shiny

Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Use nice blue or red grease so that when it goes everywhere at least it's colourful.  Wink