Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel Arch
Hi all. I have another question/problem with my '72 lowlight. I need a new D/S wheel housing as the original has more holes than a colander due to many different seat conversions....and rust... but the only one available, supposedly for my bus is different. The new one has a much larger flat area for the seat rails, instead of a step like mine

Oddly enough, the seat rails, which I have to buy, also have the step....meaning that they'll fit my old housing, but not the new one.....?

Has anyone come across this problem before? And if so, what's the solution....fab my own patch panel? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Mark
Never had the need to cut out that panel. 
You may find that the two panels are the same it looks deceptive by the angle difference of the two. Also the seat rail is sitting over the top of your panel making it look smaller. I could be wrong.
Clean up what you have to see the extent of how bad you panel really is.
If you repair what you have,at the end of the day it will be hidden by the rubber mat and the under side in the wheel well area is really only seen. Good coat of seam sealer and stone guard will make it hard to see.
The seat rails look like LHD ones, if you buy new ones make sure you get RHD rails.
If you still need to buy a new panel ask the company to take a few measurements to see if it matches what you have.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(01-01-2024, 04:48 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: Never had the need to cut out that panel. 
You may find that the two panels are the same it looks deceptive by the angle difference of the two. Also the seat rail is sitting over the top of your panel making it look smaller. I could be wrong.
Clean up what you have to see the extent of how bad you panel really is.
If you repair what you have,at the end of the day it will be hidden by the rubber mat and the under side in the wheel well area is really only seen. Good coat of seam sealer and stone guard will make it hard to see.
The seat rails look like LHD ones, if you buy new ones make sure you get RHD rails.
If you still need to buy a new panel ask the company to take a few measurements to see if it matches what you have.

Sadly the old tub is very badly pitted all over, some parts all the way through. The new one is definitely different according to the photos I've seen. You can tell by how the strengthening ribs meet the flat area for the rails. I think maybe I'll still have to buy one and then cut it up to use the parts of it that are the same as the old one. Maybe this is another one of those "crossover" quirks.... Rolleyes

Mark
(01-01-2024, 05:39 PM)Mark D Wrote: Sadly the old tub is very badly pitted all over, some parts all the way through. The new one is definitely different according to the photos I've seen. You can tell by how the strengthening ribs meet the flat area for the rails. I think maybe I'll still have to buy one and then cut it up to use the parts of it that are the same as the old one. Maybe this is another one of those "crossover" quirks.... Rolleyes

Mark
The panel really is for a later model, you can tell where the rubber mat curls under at the front of that panel.(top left corner of panel in photo) The earlier model like 72 doesn't have it where 76 does.
If you buy the panel plus your seat rails you can sit one over the other and make a decision on whether to cut out the whole panel or parts. It would have to fit with in reason.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
(01-01-2024, 07:00 PM)Wayne Murray Wrote: The panel really is for a later model, you can tell where the rubber mat curls under at the front of that panel.(top left corner of panel in photo) The earlier model like 72 doesn't have it where 76 does.
If you buy the panel plus your seat rails you can sit one over the other and make a decision on whether to cut out the whole panel or parts. It would have to fit with in reason.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain as it's the only one available as far as I can tell. I've searched stores online all over the world and apparently it's the only repro you can buy. I have a fair range of panel forming equipment here, but that one's way beyond my skillset. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy one....then chop it into small sections that I can use...
                                                     Mark