Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping Batteries,Solar and your requirements...
I found this article from Snowy’s suppliers really helpful in gaining an understanding of how a 12v camping system works and how to determine your needs when camping.
Please note that it is general advice and a guide only.

https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/solar-formula-for-your-4wd-setup/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Get prep d for Christmas with our 2021 Gift Guide!&utm_campaign=November 2021 - Weekly 4 - ALL&vgo_ee=hkPI9OCoCkN+h5/Ed6YDmXwFoqDlMHNmyq65fGLdufk=

It would be good to see this thread stay simple and not get unnecessarily bogged down with hypothetical scenarios…..it just confuses simple folk like me  Huh

A few useful links that have information regarding setting up solar for recreational purposes are as follows:

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/info.htm

and the second has articles that have been written by Collyn Rivers for general RV applications:

http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com[url=http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/][/url]

(Courtesy Kombi Dad) Ian
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
As of November 2023 all new or substantially altered electrical installations in vehicles and campers must comply with the revised Australian Standard AS3001 part 1 and 2.  Part 2 is for vehicle installs and includes ALL electrical installs not just the 240V install, Batteries of ALL types and Solar.  All of the requirements are pretty straight forward and make sense, and have been brought in to improve the safety of the installs as batteries can be extremely dangerous if incorrectly installed or mistreated.

Amongst the new changes is there is NO battery type that can be installed in the habitable area of the vehicle/caravan and they need to have venting to the outside air, so no under seat or in the cupboard AGM installs any more. All Lead Acid (including Gel and AGM)require a spill tray of 20% of the volume of the battery, the enclosure has to be acid resistant and ventilation to the outside air. They also have to be easily accessible and removable. Not too bad in a Bay as you can still use the engine bay left hand side as many do and that will comply with the requirements. The engine bay has a large air flow through it and there is surprisingly little heat in there unless idling on a hot day.

There are a few requirements on Solar, amongst those being the panels must securely fastened and the cabling must be double insulated and able to withstand UV.  All fuses/circuit breakers are to be rated for DC and placed as close to the point of supply as possible and cables should be sized to allow for no more that 10% voltage drop at the load end.

While the new standard is not aimed directly at DIY people, it is likely that this will eventually go the way of gas installations and insurance companies may require a certification that the install is compliant with the regulations as a requirement of insurance. Now for the gotcha, you have to pay for a copy of the Standard at $133!  I am sure there will be copies floating around before long.

If you already have a system in place it doesn't come under the new rules, but if you are working towards installing new equipment it would pay to find out some of the new rules before you go too far down the track in your design.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(30-12-2023, 09:27 AM)Mordred Wrote: As of November 2023 all new or substantially altered electrical installations in vehicles and campers must comply with the revised Australian Standard AS3001 part 1 and 2.

Adrian

That's going to make it difficult (and more expensive) for EV conversions.
I don't think it will make much of a difference at all.  EV conversions are included in it but there are many other standards that have to be referenced when converting. This standard was for temporary and mobile power connections to 240 and 415 volt power infrastructure and the DC side has now been added as there is now a greater prevalence of solar connected and other DC inverter connected systems in caravans and utility vehicles than previously.

If going to add some extra batteries or solar to your camper or caravan it does give you a good guide as to what is required to make the install as safe as possible.  There a a lot of good reasons why they have made the decisions they have, I am most annoyed that you need to pay a unreasonable amount to see what they are.

Adrian
A new beginning. Big Grin +

1975 Kombi The Doctor
1976 Dual Cab Bumble Bee
1974 Microbus Matilda (parts bus)
(31-12-2023, 02:49 PM)Mordred Wrote: I am most annoyed that you need to pay a unreasonable amount to see what they are.

Adrian

Talking to an electrician one day about all the changes since my 1986 AS book. He said you only find out about changes if you have an apprentice. Especially as there are no inspections.

Next door neighbour got ripped off. Electrician doing some work told her that she had to replace all of her CBs with RCDs. Charged her over $1k for about 5 or 6 circuits.
TAFE libraries have access to Australian standards
(01-01-2024, 08:51 AM)rstucke Wrote: TAFE libraries have access to Australian standards

NSW tafe libraries, standards online
you need a student or teacher id and password 
who do you know Mark?
(01-01-2024, 08:57 AM)rstucke Wrote: NSW tafe libraries, standards online
you need a student or teacher id and password 
who do you know Mark?

Absolutely Rick......all that info is free and easily available if you are an enrolled student in any TAFE course.
Access to individual Standards via the Standards Australia website access is free once enrolled.
With a username and password, you can access, download and print off any Standard you want.
I advised my Building students to download any/all relevant Standards associated with Building whilst they were enrolled.....saved them thousands of dollars.

Building Codes - V1, V2, V3 [ the Plumbing and Drainage Code ] are readily available and free for anyone to access through the Australian Building Codes Board website.
Just have to register with an email....no cost involved. It's a very handy resource.

https://www.abcb.gov.au

The statement that an Electrician only finds out about Standards changes if they employ apprentices, worries me......
Surely there's a requirement for Continuing Professional Development in order to maintain qualifications ?
I suppose it's the diligent few that maintain their knowledge.......like anything really.
Cheers,
Mark

(01-01-2024, 09:18 AM)Oldman Wrote: Absolutely Rick......all that info is free and easily available if you are an enrolled student in any TAFE course.
Access to individual Standards via the Standards Australia website access is free once enrolled.
With a username and password, you can access, download and print off any Standard you want.
I advised my Building students to download any/all relevant Standards associated with Building whilst they were enrolled.....saved them thousands of dollars.

Building Codes - V1, V2, V3 [ the Plumbing and Drainage Code ] are readily available and free for anyone to access through the Australian Building Codes Board website.
Just have to register with an email....no cost involved. It's a very handy resource.

https://www.abcb.gov.au

The statement that an Electrician only finds out about Standards changes if they employ apprentices, worries me......
Surely there's a requirement for Continuing Professional Development in order to maintain qualifications ?
I suppose it's the diligent few that maintain their knowledge.......like anything really.

I've still got a few contacts in the system who send me the bits I need

Don't know if anyone remembers the "debate" I had with a certain expert on the old forum about the very dangers that the new regulations are trying to make safer.
...same here......always pays to know someone still "in the System"
Wink
Cheers,
Mark