Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I really Need Heating?
Hi All,

I continue on restoring my 1972 low light. I have stripped it down to the shell and have it on a rotisserie and have started cleaning up underneath before pressure wash and sand blast it. The underneath heating pipes are rusted as are some of the cable tubes, especially the clutch cable tube. My questions -

1) I live in central Queensland and very rarely, if ever, will need heating on my bus. Are there any mechanical, safety or other issues with just removing the heating pipework, cables etc? Is there anything I should be particularly aware of if I decide to remove the bus heating?

2) Has anyone had problems with rusted cable tubes? How have you addressed the problem? Is replacement with plastic conduit an option?

Thanks in advance.
(13-06-2023, 12:53 PM)Culmara Wrote: Hi All,

I continue on restoring my 1972 low light. I have stripped it down to the shell and have it on a rotisserie and have started cleaning up underneath before pressure wash and sand blast it. The underneath heating pipes are rusted as are some of the cable tubes, especially the clutch cable tube. My questions -

1) I live in central Queensland and very rarely, if ever, will need heating on my bus. Are there any mechanical, safety or other issues with just removing the heating pipework, cables etc? Is there anything I should be particularly aware of if I decide to remove the bus heating?

2) Has anyone had problems with rusted cable tubes? How have you addressed the problem? Is replacement with plastic conduit an option?

Thanks in advance.

Legally you really need a demister. Could affect resale value. Why remove it?
I guess, with no heating, you will also do without a demister. Having worked at several different locations in Central Queensland I don't recall using  a vehicle's demister but maybe I was there at the right time!

I'm sure someone will have some ideas about the rusted tubing.
Greg

’71 Westfalia, Annie
’91 Caravelle GL, Lucy
Слава Україні
I didn’t expect an answer, because I spoke in Spaniel, which is understood only by spaniels.
You will need it if it is to be re-registered 

If it is registered, and not going back for recheck, you should be OK

That said, and said above,  the devaluation in my opinion would be more than the cost of putting it in
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Far as I was aware you can by a new middle section heater pipe, either end you'll need to repair the rusted sections if you plan on keeping the heaters.  
You don't ever plan on travelling south at all as you may need heaters if going on holidays any where south of QLD.
What are your plans for all the heater pipes coming up to the dash, as others have mentioned demisters.
End of the day it's your decision. 
Replacing cable tubes with plastic, is how you fasten the plastic tube to the rails, glue only? If any pressure put on the tube by cable will glue hold or the cable starts cutting into plastic tube causing other fowling issues. Cable will cut into your metal tubing if things aren't aligned correctly, plastic will not hold up in my opinion, Don't have any problems if you like to prove me wrong.
72 Kombi Microbus
72 Kombi Van
72 Kombi DC Ute
76 Kombi SC Ute
Denial is a sign of quilt !
Thanks All. Didn't even think about the Demister. Doh! Will take your advice and replace.
Ditto for a working, complete heating system…..
Another consideration is that you won’t always be in Qld. when you travel and an efficient heater in Southern regions is a must have, in my opinion  Big Grin
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light