Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strathalbyn 2023…Our Trip
We spent a day at the Swan Hill Pioneer Settlement....sort of a historic village with all the working bits n pieces that existed in the day. It was really interesting and some of the stream driven equipment was sensational...

This was a mud brick house with what I thought was a stone/rock fence....turns out they were Mulga roots !!

There was an interesting poster for a Land Sale in 1925, including Interest Rates.

....and in the afternoon the PYAP Paddle Steamer flicked past our site.....we also did that the next day.

Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
Found a Furphy Water Cart and the story behind the term, "Furphy"........ learned something !!

A Church had spectacular leadlight windows that cast amazing colours.

Turns out there IS surf in Swan Hill ......and it follows you !!
Aboard the PYAP, on the Murray River.

Cheers,
Mark

There was evidence of the raging flood waters everywhere from not that long ago.

How these trees survive is just amazing !!

Had to get the mandatory Big Cod picture !!  Big Grin

From Swan Hill we stopped at Junee for a couple of nights at the only campground there. Facilities were very average (at least in the Men's) and the place looked pretty tired.
The site, however was great !!

Corellas, the world's most indecisive bird, screeched from tree to tree on sunset....and there were hundreds of them.
"I don't like this tree, I want to try that one...."     for over an hour until dark !

Cheers,
Mark

I see you’ve found time to start to go through, and insert pics into this blog - great stuff!  Smile
88 Blue T3 CL Caravelle
91 Blue T3 Single Cab
We visited the June Chocolate & Licorice Factory.....apparently we HAD to do that !!

Not sure if these ladies knew that they were being watched.....

From Junee we continued east and overnighted in Jerilderee in a great little campground next to the Jerilderie Sports Club.
Certainly made the dinner decision easy !!  Tongue

Next morning we headed out and decided to stop in Gundagai for a coffee.
This was the first time in 4 weeks that we saw another kombi, or 3, on the road.
They looked strangely familiar and as we wandered down the street we bumped into Lindsay, Terese and Mark D. who'd also stopped earlier for a coffee.

The trio were heading to Cootamundra to meet up with other Kombi Club folk for lunch. Unfortunately, we were committed to being in Canberra that afternoon and bid them farewell.
The country in this area was just stunning. The river was flowing and clear, the hills were a verdant green and everything just looked as nature intended. I've travelled a lot around this region and for many years it's been crunchy brown and dry....

We had to do the Dog on the Tuckerbox thing and were lucky enough to jag a park out front.

We rolled into Canberra around 3pm and stayed with my mother for the night. 
After catching up, lots of stories told and a good night's sleep, we left my Mother's the next morning and met up with Grant (Grantus) & Carole for brunch at one of their favourite cafes.
We always enjoy each other's company and all too soon we had to say goodbye and headed up the Hume towards home.....which I was not looking forward to.
NSW school holidays were in theist days and I anticipated heavy traffic heading into Sydney.

Fortunately, we had a really good run straight through to the Northern Beaches without a hiccup....doesn't happen very often !!

The next few days were spent unpacking the kombi and trying to get rid of red dust from places I didn't know I had places !!
With everything unpacked and the kombi cleaned inside and out I gave it a pat on the bum and thanked it for the faultless travel over the nearly 5,000km we'd done.
The dirt roads we'd travelled - 500 km in total - were the worst I've ever experienced and I'm amazed that nothing shook loose, rattled off or just disappeared.
I've even checked the engine bay for loose carb. nipples etc. , all good  Big Grin

Our 4 week, 4800km adventure has now come to an end and we have sooo many more photo's to sort through. 

A big thanks to Deb, Phil and their Team for pulling this Bus Stop together....it most certainly was not without its challenges but it all came together beautifully.
Thanks !!  Heart

...and a very special thank you to a great mate for putting us up at his place when he hadn't really had time to move in himself !!
John, you're a legend buddy and I treasure our friendship....

......now, where to next.........? !
Cheers,
Mark

What an absolutely incredible trip and narrative, Mark! The pics are wonderful, thank you for sharing your adventure. The Tardis’ endurance is impressive.

Good to see JD back creating trouble but I’m not sure he should be a Port Vincent resident… their sign promotes, ‘Ordinary people, doing extraordinary things.’  We are all aware JD is far from ordinary.  Big Grin 

We couldn’t make it to Bus Stop this year assuming it would be far too close to olive harvest and garlic planting among other reasons but turns out it’s a late season and we’ve only just started harvest now! Also, if we’d realised you had cruised past so close to home, we could have organised a camp spot here in the Valley, or at least a catch up down the road. 

Pleased it was such a good trip for you and Sue, one to talk about for a long time.   Cool Heart
Vera - ‘75 Bay  
Thanks Chrissy, we had considered landing on your doorstep for a visit but know how hectic the harvest time is for you. 
Last thing we wanted to do was hold up the Gilmore Valley Conglomerate !!  Tongue (...and our travel plans were made every morning after coffee had hit the bloodstream !!)
For this trip, the plan was to have no plan.
Rest assured, once Sue has stopped work (June 30th this year) , we will be planning some time in your beautiful area.....I love flicking flies in the Snowy region, it's the best !!
It was really nice to re-connect with JD at Pt Vincent and to know there is a local there that has known him for a lot longer than us.
Love to you, Paul Gracie & Joey  Heart
Cheers,
Mark