Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leisure battery
Just wondering were people bring the wiring from their leisure battery back into the cabin.

With a T3 its easy - the starter battery lives under the drivers seat, then I have wires tucked on the side down to under the rear seat where the Redarc relay lives.
From there, I run back along the side to my leisure battery that is strapped to rear of the passenger seat base / pedestal.
From there to my fridge.

With the bay, I assume everyone mounts the leisure battery on the passenger side in the engine bay................Redarc on the fire wall?.................but where do you drill a hole to get the wires back in?
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
Hi Barry ... nothing fancy, just a handfull of grommets and some split conduit. 

See pics, my Voltage Sensitive Relay is close to the starting battery... my leisure battery and fuse box are on the passenger side then wires run out (left hand side near where Kombi wires go through) and are underneath until they come up for the water pump under the rear seat, a couple of 12 volt sockets on the rear seat kickboard, a couple of power sockets behind the passenger seat, a power socket and radio in the dashboard. Patrick 

I also ran a couple of spare wires all the way to the front while I was at it (green and blue pulled out of the conduit here so I remember them)

(19-04-2023, 11:07 AM)Barry Wrote: Just wondering were people bring the wiring from their leisure battery back into the cabin.

Most vehicles it is better follow the original cables. I can't remember where the T2 loom runs.
(19-04-2023, 11:07 AM)Barry Wrote: Just wondering were people bring the wiring from their leisure battery back into the cabin.

With a T3 its easy - the starter battery lives under the drivers seat, then I have wires tucked on the side down to under the rear seat where the Redarc relay lives.
From there, I run back along the side to my leisure battery that is strapped to rear of the passenger seat base / pedestal.
From there to my fridge.

With the bay, I assume everyone mounts the leisure battery on the passenger side in the engine bay................Redarc on the fire wall?.................but where do you drill a hole to get the wires back in?

Like you, the T3 all happens under the drivers seat. A 100ah battery lives under the rear seat, and a Redarc and fuse box and stuff under the driver seat drives it all. Including the solar input.
My battery lives on the passenger side of the engine compartment, but I removed the spare wheel well as the spare lives on the calf bar up front. The Victron DC to DC lives in there as well and can be programmed to stop drawing from the start battery at what ever voltage and not to restart until what ever voltage you program into it, it also has a programmable time delay before it recommences charging the house battery.
These units talk to your smart phone via Bluetooth so you can do all the programming from there ...... they work heaps better than the Redarc and a fraction of the cost.
Victron also make Bluetooth smart solar controllers in lots of different panel total voltage (open circuit voltage added together in series) and max charging current output, 
If you want a combined solar controller and DC to DC charger, Then get the Enerdrive DC to DC charger. It has a trigger connection that you wire back to the coil positive so it only turns on when the ignition is on, but still has programmable bulk and float voltage and optional absorption voltage setting if you are using a lead acid battery.
I run my cabling through the "firewall" I suppose you'd call it, on the passenger side to a fuse block type set up. Mine was set up for an inverter as well as powering the Waeco 80ltr esky fridge and other 12v stuff.

We built a 12v battery out of tired LFP (LiFeP04) lithium cells that had been removed from a DIY electric car conversion. For under $400 you end up with a very fast recharging battery that will deliver the full 100 Ah while still holding 12v, yet only weighs 16kg all up.

T1 Terry
Hi Barry,
I just run the LH battery on LHS of engine bay with a solenoid activated from ignition to disconnect from start battery when ignition is 'off'. All camper runs from fully charged LH battery from a 2nd fuse box behind pax seat as do the outside accessories like DRL's, water tank LED's, shower power etc. All isolated from 'start battery' whilst camping.
After many years & versions this is my KISS version Smile .
Cheers
Yesterday is History. Tomorrow a Mystery. Today is the PRESENT.
                    Pilot of "Old Boy" 76 Sopru fuel injected
                                    Copilot - Lauren