Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A complete new body
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere before, so sorry if it's a repeat, but I thought it might be worth sharing

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/forget-volk...s-instead/
It is LHD so it would require that being converted, then the problem with no body number or ID plate from the factory, but who knows, it might be the answer to the prays for someone

At least if it was built from the ground up as an EV, the purests wouldn't want to string you up for committing such a sacrilege :lol:  

T1 Terry
Yeah - saw that. 
Around $30k US plus shipping?
Not sure how it complies.
I know things like the Mexi-beetle couldn’t be registered here. 

That said - if every thing “found” it’s way to your rusted out split, and “maybe” the VIN’s and other numbers “happened” to find there way there as well………….
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(11-03-2023, 12:35 PM)Barry Wrote: Yeah - saw that. 
Around $30k US plus shipping?
Not sure how it complies.
I know things like the Mexi-beetle couldn’t be registered here. 

That said - if every thing “found” it’s way to your rusted out split, and “maybe” the VIN’s and other numbers “happened” to find there way there as well………….

It would certainly push the price up for rusted out split window chook sheds  Wink Cool

T1 Terry
Found the new panel to replace the dash to make it RHD, but at $875 and currently out of stock says this could turn into a very expensive project .......

T1 Terry
(14-03-2023, 01:26 PM)T1 Terry Wrote: ………this could turn into a very expensive project .......

T1 Terry

Don’t they all……?
Tongue
Cheers,
Mark
It’s not oil, it’s sweat from all the horsepower !  

Pit crew for : The Tardis - a ‘76 Sopru Campmobile
                   & Herman  - the ‘71 White Low Light
For someone with a rusty chookshed that has a decent RHD dash, running gear and some VIN numbers it could be a (relatively) cheap fix. 
Wouldn’t be original but would be fresh steel. 

Definitely a “grandfather’s axe”
76 Bay Microbus - Woody
90 T3 Caravelle C Auto - Daisy
(14-03-2023, 04:05 PM)Barry Wrote: For someone with a rusty chookshed that has a decent RHD dash, running gear and some VIN numbers it could be a (relatively) cheap fix. 

I'm some what paraphrasing from a previous post, but when it comes to split window restorations " Aren't they all" :lol:

T1 Terry
https://classicsteelbody.com/
This is the company that is supplying the body kits from U.S.A. which are made in Taiwan. 
Basically they are making all the silver metal panels you see everyone is selling but have all the pressings to make the complete car if you want too !
 The car can sent to Australia as a flat pack to keep costs down , which will put you back  $30,000 u.s.d. plus freight. 
You will need to buy there chassis jig to assemble the car on at around $8000 u.s.d. plus freight. 
Then pay some one around $150 per hour to assemble it into a car. Get the body painted . Then buy everything else to finish it off which wont be cheap. i would say easily $30k+
You can get it registered using the engineer reports you will have to get done during the build , Under the same rules as if you are building a hotrod car.
You cant build more then 6 cars per year under the government rules into a business. 
There is one being built at Melbourne which is going to have electric engine.
Basically they are to expensive to bring them  over here and build as you could buy a driving 11 window kombi and put on the samba roof on  and the rear corner  windows and the deluxe options to make it a tribute car way cheaper.
Interesting to see what happens here in the future with this company, maybe they will do lowlights next then maybe baywindows and other model?
Anyways, thought id put up this insight that i have seen on other forums.
cheers
(09-04-2023, 07:07 PM)62/kombi/surfer Wrote: https://classicsteelbody.com/
This is the company that is supplying the body kits from U.S.A. which are made in Taiwan. 
Basically they are making all the silver metal panels you see everyone is selling but have all the pressings to make the complete car if you want too !
 The car can sent to Australia as a flat pack to keep costs down , which will put you back  $30,000 u.s.d. plus freight. 
You will need to buy there chassis jig to assemble the car on at around $8000 u.s.d. plus freight. 
Then pay some one around $150 per hour to assemble it into a car. Get the body painted . Then buy everything else to finish it off which wont be cheap. i would say easily $30k+
You can get it registered using the engineer reports you will have to get done during the build , Under the same rules as if you are building a hotrod car.
You cant build more then 6 cars per year under the government rules into a business. 
There is one being built at Melbourne which is going to have electric engine.
Basically they are to expensive to bring them  over here and build as you could buy a driving 11 window kombi and put on the samba roof on  and the rear corner  windows and the deluxe options to make it a tribute car way cheaper.
Interesting to see what happens here in the future with this company, maybe they will do lowlights next then maybe baywindows and other model?
Anyways, thought id put up this insight that i have seen on other forums.
cheers

If they did a bay single cab or a dual cab, I'd be very interested. Either would make a great platform for an electric vehicle build. It's the whole "desecrating an icon" ( spoil (something which is valued or respected) that has me in two minds as to whether I do the Kombi resto as an electric vehicle.

T1 Terry
(14-03-2023, 04:05 PM)Barry Wrote: For someone with a rusty chookshed that has a decent RHD dash, running gear and some VIN numbers it could be a (relatively) cheap fix. 

Without cheating with numbers it would be impossible to register here. It would have to comply with 2023 ADRs.